The Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA) yesterday said it would propose to the Ministry of Transportation and Communications that Far Eastern Air Transport be temporarily barred from access to new cross-strait routes following a series of incidents last month that exposed safety issues with the airline.
Lin Chun-liang (林俊良), deputy director of the CAA’s flight standards division, said that the CAA had formed a task force and conducted a thorough inspection of the airline from May 2 to May 8, adding that the members of the task force were all experienced inspectors with the organization.
“Considering the numbers and the qualifications of the airline’s personnel, we doubt that the airline will be able to continue to expand its operations,” Lin said. “Following the inspection, we reached a conclusion to temporarily freeze the expansion of the airline’s business and restrict the number of charter flights and cross-strait flights it can offer.”
Proposed to take effect on Saturday, the restrictions would limit the airline to offering no more than five cross-strait charter flights per month — the quota assigned to each airline — and prevent the company from accessing new cross-strait routes.
Lin said that the CAA is scheduled to inspect the airline again on June 14, adding that further measures could be implemented if the airline does not address its safety issues.
The measures could include restricting the number of international charter flights the airline could offer, he said.
Lin said that the airline is restructuring its finances under the supervision of the district court, adding that the CAA had toughened up inspections of the airline’s aircraft after it resumed flights in 2011.
The average age of the airline’s six aircraft is between 14 and 15 years and as such, they are considered old aircraft, Lin said.
According to Lin, the airline has experienced in-flight shutdowns four times since 2011.
In response to the CAA’s investigation, the airline said it would improve its operations to meet the required standards and that flight safety was the company’s top priority.
Proposed legislation in the US outlines three conditions in which Washington would be authorized to protect Taiwan were China to invade, a report said yesterday. US Representative Ted Yoho this month said he would introduce a Taiwan Invasion Prevention Act, which would authorize US military force if China were to invade Taiwan-controlled areas, including its outlying islands. According to a version of the bill obtained by the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the sister paper of the Taipei Times), the bill lists three conditions in which a US president would be authorized to use military force to protect Taiwan: If China uses military force
The Supreme Court on Tuesday found four men guilty of attempted murder in the 2017 stabbing of Spanish surfer Ignacio Prio on a Pingtung County beach in the final ruling in the case, sentencing them to three-and-a-half to six years in prison. The defendants had appealed their convictions for attempted murder in the first and second rulings, which had also led to prison sentences ranging from three-and-a-half years to six years. The then-42-year-old Prio went to Jialeshui Beach (佳樂水) near Kenting (墾丁) on March 31, 2017, was attacked after he asked four men to remove their fishing lines from an area
Two new commuter trains are scheduled to be launched in January next year, the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) said yesterday. The acquisition of EMU-900 commuter train cars is part of the railway operator’s plan to replace 589 train cars that have been in operation for more than three decades. The agency has also placed orders to buy 600 intercity train cars. The first batch of 20 EMU-900 cars is to be delivered to the nation in September, although delivery might be delayed until October due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the agency said. The batch would be formed into two trains of 10
‘IMMORAL, INSINCERE’: Huang Kun-huei said that Ma was ‘distorting history’ in claiming that Lee Teng-hui laid the foundation for the so-called ‘1992 consensus’ Former Presidential Office secretary-general Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) on Saturday rejected former president Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) claim that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had been a proponent of Beijing’s “one China” principle. Lee, who served as president from 1988 to 2000, died in Taipei on Thursday last week. After visiting the Taipei Guest House on Saturday to pay his respects to Lee, Ma posted on Facebook that “28 years ago on this day” Lee hosted a session of the now-defunct National Unification Council, during which he passed a resolution on the “one China” principle. That resolution became the basis of the Chinese Nationalist Party’s