Minister of the Interior Lee Hong-yuan (李鴻源) yesterday acknowledged that there were flaws in the preparations for a swimming race in Kenting (墾丁) that ended in disaster on Sunday and promised lawmakers that he would launch a probe into the incident.
“We had made emergency response preparations by deploying 250 lifeguards, 30 divers, 10 wet bikes, 30 bamboo rafts and two ships provided by the Coast Guard Administration,” Kenting National Park Headquarters director Chen Chen-jung (陳貞蓉) told a question-and-answer session at the Internal Administration Committee. “However, I have to admit that we didn’t have a drill on how to respond to an accident like this. Actually, we’ve never had one [like this] before.”
More than 300 swimmers out of 4,300 who took part in the swimming contest organized by the Kaohsiung Adult Swimming Association along the coast of Kenting, Hengchun Township (恆春), in Pingtung County were swept away by currents and strong winds, with some seriously injured, on Sunday.
Two of the seven swimmers hospitalized — 61-year-old Shih Nan-ching (施南靖) and 73-year-old Wang Ching-tzi (王靜子) — were seriously injured.
The incident raised concern among lawmakers across party lines who asked whether ministry officials were prepared to deal with emergency situations in such events.
“As the government authority in charge of overseeing the event, Kenting National Park Headquarters obviously was not fully prepared to respond to the incident,” Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Chen Chi-mai (陳其邁) said.
Lee admitted that there were defects in the ministry’s preparation for the event and promised to launch an investigation.
“The probe will be done in a month, and a report that includes the list of officials to be held responsible will be delivered to the legislature,” he said.
Pingtung County Commissioner Tsao Chi-hung (曹啟鴻) said the county would provide unmanned aerial vehicles to support similar sports events and help injured people get medical assistance.
Meanwhile, the Central Weather Bureau and experts said the event organizer was negligent and suggested that regulations for holding outdoor swim meets be formulated.
The bureau said it would make routine weather forecasts at 5am every day, including wind and wave forecasts for coastal areas, to help event organizers in the future.
Taiwan has 14 outlying weather buoy stations that provide wave and wind reports and send related information back to the bureau every hour through mobile phones and satellite phones. One such station is located near the scene of the incident.
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
GROUNDED: A KMT lawmaker proposed eliminating drone development programs and freezing funding for counterdrone systems, despite China’s adoption of the technology China has deployed attack drones at air bases near the Taiwan Strait in a strategy aimed at overwhelming Taiwan’s air defense systems through saturation attacks, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. The council’s latest quarterly report on China said that satellite imagery and open-source intelligence indicate that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had converted retired J-6 fighter jets into J-6W drones, which the PLA has stationed at six air bases near Taiwan, five in China’s Fujian Province and one in Guangdong Province. The report cited J. Michael Dahm, a senior fellow at the US-based Mitchell Institute, as saying that China has