The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) yesterday staged the second and third demonstrations in its 10-rally campaign in Taoyuan County’s Jhongli City (中壢) and Greater Taichung to protest the poor performance of President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) administration demanding the president apologize and calling for a Cabinet reshuffle.
The DPP launched a one-month campaign titled “Fury” (火大) to express its anger over what it perceives as the Ma government’s incompetence. The first rally was held at Longshan Temple in Taipei on Saturday.
Led by DPP Chairman Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌), various speakers, including former vice president Annette Lu (呂秀蓮) and DPP lawmakers, focused on the “erosion of Taiwan’s democracy under Ma’s watch” and “the president’s failure to lift the economy” at the Jhongli rally.
Photo: Lo Cheng-ming, Taipei Times
Speaking to about 3,000 supporters, Su said that a media monopoly is taking shape that could jeopardize Taiwan’s freedom of speech and democracy, adding that Taiwanese should speak out and do their best to avoid being “blindfolded” to what is happening to the nation and becoming “Hong Kong-ized.”
On the economy, Su said the Ma administration has been clueless and signing “bad checks,” which it could not make good.
“Most importantly, he refused to listen to the people and the opposition. That is why we have to be in front of the Presidential Office on Ketagalan Boulevard on Jan. 13 to make him listen to us,” Su said, referring to a planned demonstration.
Lu made an appeal to those in attendance about the significance of stopping the construction of the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant and submitted an initiative to make the disputed Diaoyutai Islands (釣魚台) a “demilitarized zone.”
The other rally was held at Taichung’s 228 Memorial Park and featured Su and former DPP secretary-general Su Jia-chyuan (蘇嘉全) as the main speakers.
In related news, former DPP chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday told reporters in Taipei that she was not avoiding the events in which Su appeared as some media outlets have reported, saying that she would participate in the rallies as long as she is available.
Tsai reiterated that she bore Su no ill feeling and that she skipped the first three rallies because her schedule was too full.
Some reports say that Tsai and Su are interested in running for the presidency in 2016 and this is why they are trying to avoid making public appearances together, but both have denied these claims.
DIPLOMATIC MOVES: Beijing is reportedly pressing the state after reports of forming links with Taiwan, while the ministry is also planning to reopen its office in Guam soon A representative office is set to open in Somaliland at the end of this month, at the earliest, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said yesterday amid reports that Beijing is sending a diplomatic delegation to the east African country. The ministry on July 1 announced that Taiwan and Somaliland would establish representative offices, following a report by the Somaliland Chronicle Web site. It said at the time that the two nations did not plan to establish formal ties. Somaliland President Muse Bihi Abdi has instructed close confidants to explore the possibility of “mutual recognition between Taiwan and Somaliland,” the Somaliland Chronicle reported
‘IMMORAL, INSINCERE’: Huang Kun-huei said that Ma was ‘distorting history’ in claiming that Lee Teng-hui laid the foundation for the so-called ‘1992 consensus’ Former Presidential Office secretary-general Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) on Saturday rejected former president Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) claim that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had been a proponent of Beijing’s “one China” principle. Lee, who served as president from 1988 to 2000, died in Taipei on Thursday last week. After visiting the Taipei Guest House on Saturday to pay his respects to Lee, Ma posted on Facebook that “28 years ago on this day” Lee hosted a session of the now-defunct National Unification Council, during which he passed a resolution on the “one China” principle. That resolution became the basis of the Chinese Nationalist Party’s
NEW ERA: Taiwan, which has controlled its virus outbreak, now faces the challenge of safely resuming economic exchanges with other nations, Chang Shan-chwen said People should not focus entirely on having zero new confirmed COVID-19 cases in Taiwan, but neglect overall control over the disease situation, Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) specialist advisory panel convener Chang Shan-chwen (張上淳) said yesterday. Chang made the remark at a forum in Taipei discussing the steps Taiwan should take in the post-pandemic era, organized by the Chinese-language magazine Global Views Monthly. Chang, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Director-General Chou Jih-haw (周志浩), and Stanford University’s Center for Policy, Outcomes and Prevention director C. Jason Wang (王智弘) each made a presentation, followed by a panel discussion with Chang, Wang and Buddhist Tzu
A Belgian man who tested positive for COVID-19 in Taiwan last week is likely to have contracted the disease in Taipei in late June, National Taiwan University (NTU) College of Public Health vice dean Tony Chen (陳秀熙) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Saturday reported that the man, who is in his 20s, came to Taiwan for work on May 3 and tested positive on Wednesday last week as he was about to depart. The man in March reported loss of taste and smell, the center said, adding that he worked in Changhua County, but visited Taipei several times,