The Ministry of the Interior is considering relaxing the cap on political donations from individuals, but will not make any changes to restrictions on political donations from businesses, Deputy Minister of the Interior Chien Tai-lang (簡太郎) told the legislature in Taipei yesterday.
Chien made the remark during an Internal Administration Committee meeting to discuss proposed amendments to the Political Donations Act (政治獻金法).
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) legislators Lin Tai-hua (林岱樺) and Chao Tien-lin (趙天麟) made separate proposals to raise the amount that an individual could give as political donations to candidates.
“Different elections have been held simultaneously in recent years, so it doesn’t make sense that the political donations an individual make [for different elections] should be calculated together,” Chao said.
“The maximum amount of political donations that an individual may give should be calculated separately when several elections are held at the same time,” he said.
Lin, on the other hand, suggested that all political donations be calculated together, but that the cap per individual be raised based on the number of elections held.
“For instance, where seven elections are held together, a voter should be allowed to donate up to NT$700,000 [US$24,000], and if five elections are held together, the cap would be NT$500,000,” she said.
Currently, the Political Donations Act stipulates that an individual may donate up to NT$100,000 per year to a specific candidate and may donate up to NT$200,000 to multiple candidates.
A business may donate up to NT$1 million to a particular candidate and NT$2 million to several candidates. However, companies that have posted losses are prohibited from making donations.
Chien said the ministry agreed that changes were necessary and that it was discussing possible revisions.
“What we’re considering is to adjust the total amount of donations allowed when several elections are combined, but we’re not likely to change the NT$100,000 cap that each individual voter can give to a particular candidate,” Chien said.
“We will submit our proposed revisions in the next legislative session,” he said.
However, the deputy minister said that the ministry had no plans to change the rules on donations by businesses.
FAMILY FEUD: Weng Jen-hsien, who was convicted of killing six people in 2016, was the second prisoner to be executed since President Tsai Ing-wen took office A death row inmate was executed on Wednesday, less than a year after he was convicted of killing six people by setting fire to his home. Minister of Justice Tsai Ching-hsiang (蔡清祥) said that he signed the order and the death sentence was carried out on Wednesday afternoon in New Taipei City. The Supreme Court on July 10 last year sentenced 53-year-old Weng Jen-hsien (翁仁賢) to death after he was convicted of killing his parents, niece, nephew and nephew’s wife and his parents’ caregivers. Weng set fire to his home in Taoyuan’s Longtan District (龍潭) on Feb. 7, 2016, after a family feud
At a campground in Nantou County, a team of women are using ropes to shimmy up a towering seven-story tall Chinaberry tree, fighting their fear of heights and reconnecting with nature. Tree climbing remains somewhat niche in Taiwan, but a growing number of women are embracing the challenge thanks to the island’s first international certified female climber arborist. Sylvia Hsu (許芢涵), 26, said she was inspired to set up her own women-only tree climbing classes after seeing the popularity of similar gatherings in Europe. “A women-only camp is a more relaxed environment,” she said. “I was hooked on trees after my first climb...
Police in Kaohsiung are investigating a possible murder after a woman’s body was found in a plastic container on Thursday. The bucket was found by a person operating an excavator on a construction site at a private lot next to the Ciaotou Sugar Refinery Station (橋頭糖廠站) on the Kaohsiung Mass Rapid Transit system. Police investigator Chen Jen-cheng (陳仁正) yesterday said police had reviewed missing person reports and have narrowed the identity of the victim down to about 20 possible people. Physical evidence suggested she might have been a Fongshan District (鳳山) woman surnamed Lin (林), who was about 60 years old when she
IN PRINCIPLE: The Central Epidemic Command Center began yesterday to ban visits to hospitalized patients, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced 10 new COVID-19 cases — eight imported and two locally transmitted — bringing the nation’s tally of confirmed cases to 339. The imported cases involved six men and two women, all Taiwanese, who had traveled to Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Indonesia, countries in Latin America, the UK or the US before arriving back in Taiwan between March 6 and Tuesday, center data showed. Among them, patient No. 338 was part of a tour group that traveled to Austria and the Czech Republic, and has resulted in an infection cluster of five cases,