The Taiwan Solidarity Union (TSU) yesterday launched a signature drive to recall President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九), citing the nation’s deteriorating fiscal condition and what the party referred to as Ma’s incompetence.
“Taiwan cannot afford a president wasting another four years not doing anything,” TSU Chairman Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) told a press conference, calling on Taiwanese to help themselves by supporting the signature drive.
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Deputy Sectary-General Lin You-chang (林右昌), Taiwan Society president Wu Shu-min (吳樹民), former vice premier Wu Rong-i (吳榮義), Taiwan Nation Alliance (TNA) convener Yao Chia-wen (姚嘉文), former Academia Historica director Chang Yen-hsien (張炎憲) and representatives from pro-independence groups also attended the press conference.
Photo: AFP
Huang said that petition stations would be set up across the nation to collect signatures and the party would also establish a Web site allowing people to sign the petition online.
After it has collected signatures, the chairman said, the party would ask all district legislators whether they would obey “the people’s will or Ma’s opinions.”
By doing this the party aims to identify elected representatives who ignore the voice of the public and shield an incompetent government, Huang said.
He added that the party would gather all lawmakers’ performance records in the legislature and find out who had been supporting the government’s poor policies.
“Ma Ying-jeou has been so at ease just because some lawmakers support his interests over the public interest, and Ma and these lawmakers have therefore formed a conspiracy,” he said.
Huang added that the party would move to launch a recall of poorly performing lawmakers as a precursor to recalling Ma.
The chairman said the party plans to formally present the petition after Ma finishes the first year of his four-year second term on May 20 next year.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a