Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) heavyweights and members of the party’s Central Standing Committee have warned that the party’s southern support base has crashed through the floor and that the party could be on the verge of fragmenting.
According to a source within the KMT, President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) has grown even more distant from party bigwigs since the presidential election in January and has had little, if any, interaction with them.
One example is former KMT chairman Wu Po-hsiung (吳伯雄), who met Chinese President Hu Jintao (胡錦濤) in March. Despite Wu’s conveyance of the “one country, two areas” (一國兩區) rhetoric to Hu, Ma’s cold treatment of Wu in later months has been witnessed by several party members, the source said.
Wu’s emphasis at the press conference after the meeting that the message he had conveyed to Hu had Ma’s full approval and that he was “doing as I was asked to do” seemed to highlight that Wu was conveying a message from Ma, the source said.
“It’s very chilling to see those higher up in the party choosing people outside the party over established party systems,” the source said, quoting the political heavyweights, adding that they had also stated “in private to me a few days ago that the atmosphere within the party has changed and that the ‘cohesion and unity’ of the party was gone.”
Meanwhile, the source also said that some of the party’s Central Standing Committee members worried about the extra damage the ongoing bribery case of former Executive Yuan secretary-general Lin Yi-shih (林益世) would inflict on the party.
Lin was dismissed from the party after he was accused of taking a NT$63 million (US$2.15 million) bribe from Ti Yung Co-owner Chen Chi-hsiang (陳啟祥) to facilitate a slag and waste contract between Ti Yung and China Steel Corp.
In private statements, the source said, committee members had told them that the Lin scandal had seriously undermined the image of the KMT and if party officials were to become embroiled in another case, especially ones that are high up in the party hierarchy, “the results would be unimaginable.”
As Lin’s hometown is in southern Taiwan, committee members who had just returned from visiting the south said that the stance of citizens there in relation to the KMT was “staggeringly” negative, adding that if an adjective was needed to describe the party situation in the south, it would be “disastrous.”
Ma does not seem to understand the mindset of the general public and people are not listening to his continued calls against corruption, the source said.
“We’re going to lose control of things” if the issue is not taken care of, especially when distrust of Ma is common and pervasive, the source said, quoting the committee members.
The entire Cabinet, including Ma, have never encountered such a situation before and their handling of the Lin case shows that “they are panicking,” the source said, adding that the administration should change their thought patterns or there would be more serious issues to come.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not