The son of a war hero in the Sino-Japanese war (1937 to 1945) yesterday announced that he intends to establish a museum in his father’s name in Taiwan to help preserve the memory of that period in history.
Kao Yao-han (高耀漢) made the announcement in Taipei during the inauguration of an association dedicated to the memory of Kao Chih-hang (高志航), who led the Republic of China’s (ROC) first successful air battle against Japan in 1937.
Former Taiwan Civil Aeronautics Administration director-general Billy Chang (張國政) and Veterans Association chairman Kuo Chung-yuan (高仲源) attended the gathering.
The Aug. 14, 1937, air battle near Hangzhou, China, was a setback for Japan’s military, which had been considered invincible at the time.
Kao Chih-hang died during a Japanese attack on Nov. 21, 1937.
The ROC designated Aug. 14 Air Force Day to mark the victory. The battle was also made into a film by the Central Pictures Corp in 1977 and a 30-episode TV series that was broadcast in China last year.
However, the plan to broadcast the TV series in Taiwan was rejected by the government. Commenting on the decision — blamed on historical inaccuracies — Kao Yao-han said the series was not a documentary, but it did highlight the contribution made by the Chinese Nationalist Party’s (KMT) and the ROC Air Force during the war against Japan.
Kao Yao-han said that museums exhibiting his father’s achievements had been established in Beijing, Nanjing and his hometown of Tonghua in Jilin Province, adding that he hoped to do the same in Taiwan.
Chou Shan-tse (周善擇), a retired Air Force lieutenant general and co-founder of the association, said efforts had been made to secure funding for the museum project from the Ministry of National Defense, the Air Force and Chiayi City Government.
The majority of parents surveyed in northern Taiwan favor the suspension of all on-site classes at schools from the junior-high level and below amid a surge in domestic COVID-19 infections, parent groups said yesterday. About 84.4 percent of respondents in a survey of 2,912 parents in northern Taiwan, where the outbreak is the most serious, said they supported suspending classes, the Action Alliance on Basic Education, the Taiwan Parents Protect Women and Children Association, and the Taiwan Love Children Association said. The groups distributed questionnaires to parents in New Taipei City, Taipei, Keelung, Taoyuan and Hsinchu city and county from Saturday morning
‘LONE WOLF’: The suspect was difficult to locate, as he did not use a cellphone, did not contact family and often lived in abandoned sites or parks, police said Taipei police on Thursday morning arrested a man accused of numerous burglaries and at least 14 incidents of sexual assault spanning more than 20 years, in what might be the nation’s most notorious crime spree in recent years. Sixty-year-old Tu Ming-lang (涂明朗) — who was yesterday placed in judicial detention, after a judge determined he was a flight risk without a fixed address — faces multiple charges of sexual assault and burglary, police said. A task force comprised of various law enforcement agencies arrested Tu as part of an investigation into an April 28 burglary in Daan District (大安), in which a
ASEAN BATTLEGROUND: Japan and Australia could be drawn into Pacific tensions as China sets its sights on the Diaoyutai Islands and further beyond the first island chain Tensions between China and the US in the Indo-Pacific region are expected to intensify, the National Security Bureau and Ministry of Foreign Affairs said, recommending that Taiwan continue to emphasize its shared values and interests to encourage resistance to Chinese aggression. US commitments in the Indo-Pacific region are expected to continue unabated despite the war in Ukraine, as Beijing takes advantage of the conflict to expand its influence in the region, the agencies said in reports delivered to the legislature’s Foreign Affairs and National Defense Committee on Sunday, ahead of a hearing yesterday on regional developments and trends. Although Russia’s invasion of
ONLINE REPORT: Confirmed cases filling out the online contact tracing report can check a box to indicate that a close contact had received a booster dose, an official said The guidelines for diagnosing COVID-19 have been revised to include people aged 65 or older who test positive with a rapid test that is confirmed by a healthcare worker, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday, as it reported 65,794 new local infections. The CECC had first announced the change on Monday, before publishing the new guidelines. Starting today, people aged 65 or older, regardless of whether they are undergoing home quarantine, home isolation or self-disease prevention, can be classified as a confirmed COVID-19 case by a healthcare professional, based on a positive result from an antigen rapid test, said