Master Hsing Yun (星雲法師), founder of Buddhist organization Fo Guang Shan, is in stable condition after suffering a stroke, Kaohsiung Chang Gung Memorial Hospital said yesterday.
The master was rushed to the hospital by his followers on Monday night after he felt numbness on his left side, including his hand and foot.
The hospital immediately formed a team to treat him and confirmed that he was suffering from blood-vessel sclerosis in his brain and an ischemic stroke.
The hospital said that Master Hsing Yun, 84, has a history of high blood sugar, high blood pressure, high blood lipids and heart disease.
He checked into the hospital after a stroke in October and had recovered from that, but he had been fatigued in recent days from activities related to the opening of a Buddha Memorial Center in Greater Kaohsiung, Fo Guang Shan Monastery said.
The hospital said although he was in stable condition, he would remain there for observation for the time being.
Both President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) and Democratic Progressive Party Chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) sent Master Hsing Yun their regards yesterday, expressing their concern.
In related news, Tsai and first lady Chow Mei-ching (周美青) yesterday visited the Buddha Memorial Center.
The five-story memorial hall was unveiled on Sunday after nine years of construction. The 4,000 ping (13,223m2) complex has eight stupas, 48 underground palaces and the nation’s tallest Buddha statue at 108m high.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a