Family members of Chang Po-wei (張博崴), a student at Chung Shan Medical University who died in a mountain climbing accident, yesterday accused the government of ineffective rescue efforts.
After 51 days of searching by local police, fire department, the military, volunteer civil rescue teams and teams hired by family members, Chang’s body was found near Beigang River (北港溪) in Yunlin County last week by two mountain climbers — two days after they launched their own search for the missing student.
Chang’s parents said their son had died in the mountains because the government did not use the GPS on their son’s cellphone to locate him.
Photo: Lin Chun-hung, Taipei Times, courtesy of Chang Po-wei’s family
They said they were mulling the possibility of seeking state compensation.
Chang’s mother said a medical examiner had determined that her son probably died five or six days before he was found. Her son was a good swimmer and the family had requested that rescue teams search near or at a river valley, she said.
RECOUNTING PROCESS
After her son’s disappearance, the commander of the rescue mission asked her if her son had gotten in a dispute with her or his girlfriend and could have been hiding, Chang’s mother said.
For their part, police initially refused their request to obtain detailed records of their son’s cellphone, stating requirements to respect personal information and privacy.
That, she said, cost additional rescue time.
GOING SOLO
Chang had set out to climb Baigu Mountain (白姑大山) on his own on Feb. 28.
At about 3:30pm on the second day, Chang’s girlfriend received a phone call from him saying he was lost, but believed he could find his way out. She lost contact with him after half an hour.
Chang’s family reported the matter to the police the same night.
His body was found close to where his parents and girlfriend had expected him to be.
Huang Kuo-shu (黃國書), the mountain climber who found the body, had called Chang’s girlfriend last week and asked her to confirm her hearing the sound of running water during her last conversation with Chang.
Huang tracked footprints and folded tree branches close to the river valley and described what looked like a tent in the vicinity. After climbing down 600m and crossing deep water and waterfalls, Huang found Chang’s body rolled in his sleeping bag, with his half-erected tent and backpack nearby.
Bloodstains on Chang’s pants led Huang to conclude that Chang may have injured himself after falling into the valley, forcing him to wait to be rescued.
‘PROFESSIONAL’ HELP
Chang’s father said that while the police and fire departments sent out teams of four people to search for three days, they limited their search to mountain trails.
Police told him they did not have ropes that were long enough to go down the valley, he said, while the military suspended searches whenever it rained or fogged.
After Chang’s body was found, the teams hired by the family to look for their son changed their explanations, saying they did not have the equipment to go down the valley, he said.
If all the teams involved had acted more professionally, his son would probably have been saved rather than waiting to die in his sleeping bag, the father said.
Chang’s parents said they were grateful for the civilian rescue teams’ efforts, but were angry at the government’s rescue plans and urged it to adopt stricter regulations on mountain climbing.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not