In the face of the administration’s elaborate plans to celebrate the Republic of China’s (ROC) centennial, a pro-independence group yesterday said it was teaming up with the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) to hold a march on Sept. 8 to reaffirm Taiwan’s sovereignty.
Former Examination Yuan president Yao Chia-wen (姚嘉文), who heads the Taiwan Nation Alliance, said at least three major events would be held this year.
In addition to the annual commemoration of the 228 Incident on Feb. 28, Yao said the alliance would organize a third conference on national affairs on March 19 under the theme “Building a Taiwan republic and expanding its international space.”
This would be followed by the parade on Sept. 8 to mark the 60th anniversary of the signing of the Treaty of San Francisco, which Yao said confirmed Taiwan’s existence as a sovereign state, after Japan renounced all rights over it on Sept. 8, 1951. Representatives from Taiwan and China were not present at the signing of the treaty.
“The event [march] will seek to highlight Taiwan as a sovereign state, in contrast to the [ROC] celebration activities being organized by the administration, however difficult it is to understand what they are about,” he said.
Several pro-independence organizations in Taiwan and abroad view the ROC as a foreign regime imposed on Taiwan after the KMT retreated to Taiwan following its defeat by the Chinese Communist Party in 1949.
The alliance hosted a forum yesterday to examine the government’s performance in the past year and its prospects this year.
Chen Yi-shen (陳儀深), an executive member of the alliance, accused the administration of believing in what he referred to as the fictitious “1992 consensus” — a term coined by former Mainland Affairs Council chairman Su Chi (蘇起) that has become a cornerstone of the Ma administration’s dialogue with Beijing and whose validity as a basis for talks has been put into question by various politicians.
Chen said that while he was in favor of a plan by the DPP to engage China without preconditions, how Beijing would react to the proposal remained to be seen.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY STAFF WRITER
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
GROUNDED: A KMT lawmaker proposed eliminating drone development programs and freezing funding for counterdrone systems, despite China’s adoption of the technology China has deployed attack drones at air bases near the Taiwan Strait in a strategy aimed at overwhelming Taiwan’s air defense systems through saturation attacks, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. The council’s latest quarterly report on China said that satellite imagery and open-source intelligence indicate that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had converted retired J-6 fighter jets into J-6W drones, which the PLA has stationed at six air bases near Taiwan, five in China’s Fujian Province and one in Guangdong Province. The report cited J. Michael Dahm, a senior fellow at the US-based Mitchell Institute, as saying that China has