Ten of the nation’s largest pro--independence organizations yesterday issued a blunt rebuke to former premier Frank Hsieh (謝長廷) over his suggestion that Taiwan use the Republic of China (ROC) Constitution in future negotiations with China.
The Taiwan Society, Alliance of Referendum for Taiwan and other groups said Hsieh’s ideas on a “constitutional consensus” would undermine Taiwan’s sovereignty.
Hsieh, a Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Standing Committee member, said on Monday that a new accord was needed to replace the disputed “1992 consensus” used by the government as a foundation for cross-strait talks.
His proposal implicitly asks DPP supporters to accept the ROC’s sovereignty over Taiwan as the “greatest common denominator.”
Hsieh’s proposal can “never be accepted” and would likely not help in cross-strait relations, the groups said in a statement. The “constitutional consensus” would undermine Taiwan’s sovereignty movement and cause more confusion over the country’s international status, they said.
“Hsieh clearly knows that accepting the ROC Constitution would draw a distinction between [Taiwan’s] national sovereignty and national governance,” the statement said, ostensibly referring to clauses in the document that include territory controlled by the People’s Republic of China as part of the ROC.
“There are also serious contradictions within the ROC Constitution on historical jurisdiction and [the current] geographical jurisdiction,” the statement said. “These [contradictions] show just how shaky the grounds are on which Hsieh’s proposal is based.”
In a not so subtle warning against politicians within the DPP that support Hsieh, the statement also said that pro-independence backers would likely reconsider their support for Hsieh if he continued to make statements that “harmed Taiwan’s sovereignty.”
Hsieh said on his Web site yesterday morning that a “constitutional consensus” would help protect Taiwan against pressure for unification with China, which he said was “subtly taking place.”
“My [proposal] is to search for an accord with supporters of the ‘status quo’ to achieve a consensus that is supported by the majority of Taiwanese,” Hsieh said.
Meanwhile, Presidential Office Spokesman Lo Chih-chiang (羅智強) said President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) attitude toward the “1992 consensus” had been consistent and that the administration would insist on the “three noes” under that framework and the Constitution.
The “three noes,” a pledge Ma made during his 2008 presidential election campaign, refer to no discussion of unification with Beijing during Ma’s presidency, no pursuit or support of de jure independence and no use of military force to resolve the Taiwan issue.
As for the definition of the so-called “1992 consensus,” Lo said the administration’s position has been that there is only “one China” and that both sides of the Strait had its own interpretation of what “one China” means.
Former Mainland Affairs Council chairman Su Chi (蘇起) said in February 2006 that he had invented the consensus in 2000 in order to break the cross-strait deadlock.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY KO SHU-LING
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the