Minister of the Interior Jiang Yi-huah (江宜樺) yesterday countered denials by a construction company that it had violated a new rule on real estate sales contracts and said the firm had broken its promise to make improvements after several warnings.
According to a new rule that took effect on May 1, the surface area of the main structure of a house must be listed separately in the contract from those of attached structures, such as the balcony.
The new rule is meant to combat skyrocketing real estate prices, because when the surface areas are listed separately, a buyer may be able to negotiate a better bargain on attached spaces.
The Chinese-language China Times reported yesterday that the ministry had found the sales contract for a Jay San Lin Construction Co (JSLC) building project in Keelung was in violation of the new rule, adding that the company had been fined NT$300,000 (US$9,390).
Following the report, JSLC management denied the company had violated the rule, arguing that it had been abiding by the new contract format since March.
The company also denied ever being fined by the ministry.
However, with documents in hand, Jiang said those claims were false.
“What [JSLC] said in the media is not fact,” Jiang told a news conference at the ministry in the afternoon. “In fact, the fine was sent via registered mail and the Post Office record shows it arrived last Friday.”
Jiang said the ministry discovered 160 violations of the new rule after it became effective in May.
“We first issued warnings and all of them — except for JSLC — made corrections before the deadline we gave them,” he said.
The minister said JSLC was found to have violated the new rule on contracts on May 5 and was given until May 31 to revise the contract.
“We went back on May 31, June 2 and June 22, but they were still in violation,” Jiang said. “On Aug. 10, we found that the contents of a sales contract JSLC signed with a female buyer surnamed Chang (張) still did not follow the new format. This time around, we decided we had to act.”
Jiang showed copies of inspection forms from each of the inspections signed by the inspectors and representatives from JSLC.
“They cannot claim that they don’t know about it, because the JSLC chairman actually talked to us and promised to make the changes on June 2,” Jiang said, showing a paper signed by JSLC chairman Chu Wen-yu (祝文宇) with a statement promising to revise their sales contract according to the new format.
“We gave them 15 days to fix it, [telling them that] if they failed to do so, we would continue fining them,” Jiang said. “If they won’t change their practices, we’ll shrink the buffer period to three days or even one day and may ask them to pay the maximum fine of NT$1.5 million for the violation.”
The Supreme Court on Tuesday found four men guilty of attempted murder in the 2017 stabbing of Spanish surfer Ignacio Prio on a Pingtung County beach in the final ruling in the case, sentencing them to three-and-a-half to six years in prison. The defendants had appealed their convictions for attempted murder in the first and second rulings, which had also led to prison sentences ranging from three-and-a-half years to six years. The then-42-year-old Prio went to Jialeshui Beach (佳樂水) near Kenting (墾丁) on March 31, 2017, was attacked after he asked four men to remove their fishing lines from an area
‘IMMORAL, INSINCERE’: Huang Kun-huei said that Ma was ‘distorting history’ in claiming that Lee Teng-hui laid the foundation for the so-called ‘1992 consensus’ Former Presidential Office secretary-general Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) on Saturday rejected former president Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) claim that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had been a proponent of Beijing’s “one China” principle. Lee, who served as president from 1988 to 2000, died in Taipei on Thursday last week. After visiting the Taipei Guest House on Saturday to pay his respects to Lee, Ma posted on Facebook that “28 years ago on this day” Lee hosted a session of the now-defunct National Unification Council, during which he passed a resolution on the “one China” principle. That resolution became the basis of the Chinese Nationalist Party’s
NEW ERA: Taiwan, which has controlled its virus outbreak, now faces the challenge of safely resuming economic exchanges with other nations, Chang Shan-chwen said People should not focus entirely on having zero new confirmed COVID-19 cases in Taiwan, but neglect overall control over the disease situation, Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) specialist advisory panel convener Chang Shan-chwen (張上淳) said yesterday. Chang made the remark at a forum in Taipei discussing the steps Taiwan should take in the post-pandemic era, organized by the Chinese-language magazine Global Views Monthly. Chang, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Director-General Chou Jih-haw (周志浩), and Stanford University’s Center for Policy, Outcomes and Prevention director C. Jason Wang (王智弘) each made a presentation, followed by a panel discussion with Chang, Wang and Buddhist Tzu
ANOTHER IMPORT: A Filipina who arrived on Friday to visit family developed a fever on Saturday and test results yesterday were positive, making her Taiwan’s 465th case The government’s real-name mask purchasing system is to be continued until at least the end of the year, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday, as it reported a new imported COVID-19 case from the Philippines. The center would continue to requisition mask production to ensure people can buy masks using the real-name system until the end of December, said Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang (莊人祥), the CECC’s spokesman. While the CECC requisitions about 8 million masks per day to ensure there are enough for the real-name system, more than 10 million masks are produced per day