The government’s announcement that it will not be making a formal bid for UN membership this year has drawn heated objections from opposition party lawmakers, who yesterday said the move would deepen Taiwan’s international isolation.
On Thursday, Minister of Foreign Affairs Timothy Yang (楊進添) outlined the government’s approach to participate in UN specialized agencies instead of applying for full UN membership through Taiwan’s diplomatic allies. He said the strategy was because of changes in the cross-strait and international situations, adding that it was in line with President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) policies of flexible diplomacy.
However, speaking in the legislature yesterday, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) slammed the decision, saying the move broke pledges that the president made during his election campaign in 2008.
“‘Return to the United Nations,’ that was a campaign motto he used on numerous occasions. It’s becoming clear now that it was all a lie and an election ploy,” DPP Legislator Twu Shiing-jer (涂醒哲) said.
He also called the move an example of how the Ma administration backed down in the face of Chinese pressure. China is heavily opposed to Taiwan’s inclusion in international organizations that require statehood, having vowed to counter any bid for the nation’s admission to the UN.
DPP Legislator Kuan Bi-ling (管碧玲) argued that the lack of a formal bid this year could mean more trouble for Taiwan down the road, if it were to launch a similar proposal in the future.
“If Taiwan were to resume its bid in the future, it will be seen as a provocation by the [international community],” she said. “Ma’s administration is basically killing off Taiwan’s chances for an international voice.”
The decision was also panned by DPP Legislator Wong Chin-chu (翁金珠), who said it eroded years of efforts by not only the former DPP administration, but also the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) government before it.
“Through our past efforts working hard to join the UN, we have already gathered quite a bit of international attention,” she said.
Attacking Ma for failing to push for Taiwan’s re-entry in the UN, the DPP’s Taipei mayoral candidate, Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌), at a separate setting urged Ma to stop disappointing the people by belittling Taiwan’s sovereignty and national dignity.
Taiwan began its attempts to re-enter the UN in 1993, two decades after the Republic of China mission was replaced by the People’s Republic of China in 1971. In 2008, the government announced that it would give up making a formal bid through its diplomatic allies.
Presidential Office Spokesperson Lo Chih-chiang (羅智強) yesterday called on the DPP to avoid turning the issue of UN membership into an election tactic, saying that the Ma government would not waver in its approach.
“Returning to the UN is the hope of the Taiwanese people, but what did the DPP accomplish during its eight years in office?” he asked.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY MO YAN-CHIH
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a