National Communications Commission (NCC) statistics showed yesterday that the police topped government agencies in the number of requests made for individuals’ telephone records, filing 2.3 million applications between 2007 and last September under the category of criminal investigation.
The commission ruled yesterday to lower the application fee for the call records of a telephone number from NT$120 per day to NT$100 per day.
The statistics came to light when the commissioners reviewed the case at their weekly meeting.
Commission spokesperson Chen Jeng-chang (陳正倉) said the commissioners had reservations over the number of applications filed for call records.
He said that applicants should balance the use of those records with concern for the preservation of personal privacy and freedom of communication.
Commission statistics showed that telecom carriers received 2.3 million applications for call records between 2007 and last September, which included mobile phone and land-line phone numbers.
Each application represents one case under investigation, the commission said. The call records of approximately 2.2 million numbers were investigated, it said.
The telecom carriers were also requested to submit the user information of 3.5 million phone numbers. The commission said a suspect could use several different telephone numbers, and the same number could be used by a suspect to commit different crimes.
When requesting call records, the applicant must submit a formal application to the telecom carrier to which the telephone number belongs.
On average, the number of applications for call records increased from 25,000 per month between 2002 and 2006, to 70,000 per month between 2007 and last year.
Revenues collected by the telecom carriers for offering the call record service increased from NT$70 million (US$2.2 million) in 2007 to NT$140 million last year.
The statistics also showed that within the two years under review, 67 percent of the applications were filed by the police and 27 percent were filed by prosecutors.
The rest were filed by other agencies, such as the Environmental Protection Administration and the Coast Guard Administration.
A proposal by the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) to permanently ban sitting in Taipei Railway Station’s main hall has received a mixed reaction online, with some social media users vowing to launch a sit-in at the station. Gatherings at the hall have been prohibited since Feb. 29 in accordance with the Central Epidemic Command Center’s policy of reducing crowd sizes in public places. A Facebook user organizing the sit-in said that the hall is a public space and there is no legitimate reason to ban sitting on the floor. He said he suspected that the proposal was made due to business considerations and
Chinese over-the-top (OTT) service provider iQiyi cannot register as a provider in Taiwan after the Mainland Affairs Council declared it to be an illegal service, the National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday. Both iQiyi and WeTV were deemed to be illegal Chinese OTT operators in an interdepartmental meeting on Friday last week, officials said, adding that this prohibits them from marketing their services in Taiwan or seeking subscribers. The government plans to block a local server that iQiyi has been using to transmit content to domestic audiences, which would disrupt its content transmission. OTT Entertainment Ltd, which is enlisted by iQiyi to
The Taipei Grand Mosque yesterday said its earlier decision to cancel Eid al-Fitr celebrations on Sunday to mark the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan would stand, even though there have been no new domestic cases of COVID-19 in more than a month. It will be the first time in 60 years that the event has not be held at the mosque. The Ministry of Labor had asked all mosques to suspend Eid al-Fitr celebrations and prayers this year, due to COVID-19 concerns, and encouraged Muslims to pray at home. This year Ramadan began on April 23 and is to
KAOHSIUNG VOTE: A city official allegedly wrote a message calling on supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu not to participate in the vote next month Prosecutors on Wednesday initiated an investigation of Kaohsiung Civil Affairs Bureau Director-General Tsao Huan-jung (曹桓榮) for allegedly telling supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) to interfere with a recall vote against Han, while pan-green politicians denounced the mayor and his team for devising ways to obstruct voting. After receiving complaints from residents, the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office launched its probe of Tsao for alleged breaches of the Civil Servants Election and Recall Act (公職人員選舉罷免法). Complainants provided evidence that Tsao on Saturday last week wrote on messaging app Line that Han supporters should not vote in the June 6 recall vote, saying: