The Taipei City Government yesterday announced it would extend its discount policy on the Wenshan-Neihu MRT Line until the contractors complete the compatibility tests for the line’s older trains and confirm the line’s safety.
Passengers using EasyCards on the line will continue to receive a 36 percent discount until sometime next year, when the compatibility tests are scheduled to completed, Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) said at Taipei City Hall.
“The stability of the Wenshan-Neihu MRT Line has been greatly improved, but we should continue to compensate passengers for the system’s troubles until the service quality reaches 100 percent,” he said.
The plan is expected to cost Taipei Rapid Transit Corp (TRTC), the system’s operator, NT$200 million (US$6 million) per month. The discount will save EasyCard users up to NT$3.4 per trip, according to Tsai Hui-sheng (蔡輝昇), general manager of the TRTC.
The city government decided to extend the discount period after Taipei City’s Department of Rapid Transit Systems failed to complete the compatibility tests for 25 older trains by Feb. 24 after refitting the trains from the Muzha Line to make them compatible with the Neihu Line’s Bombardier system.
Hau blamed Bombardier for failing to meet the schedule and complete the tests, and said the discount period will last until the tests are completed.
The Wenshan-Neihu Line, an extension of the Muzha Line, did not continue with the French-built Matra system used on the original Muzha Line, and instead had a system built by Montreal-based Bombardier.
The city government first offered the 36 percent discount on the line from July 25 to Dec. 31 last year, amid frequent malfunctions. It extended the discount period to June 30 this year to compensate passengers.
Hau dismissed concerns that he gave the extension of the discount as a bribe to voters for his re-election bid in December’s Taipei mayoral election, and said it was “reasonable” to continue the compensation plan as the quality of the line has not met the public’s expectations.
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
GROUNDED: A KMT lawmaker proposed eliminating drone development programs and freezing funding for counterdrone systems, despite China’s adoption of the technology China has deployed attack drones at air bases near the Taiwan Strait in a strategy aimed at overwhelming Taiwan’s air defense systems through saturation attacks, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. The council’s latest quarterly report on China said that satellite imagery and open-source intelligence indicate that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had converted retired J-6 fighter jets into J-6W drones, which the PLA has stationed at six air bases near Taiwan, five in China’s Fujian Province and one in Guangdong Province. The report cited J. Michael Dahm, a senior fellow at the US-based Mitchell Institute, as saying that China has
Carrefour Taiwan is to begin using a new name from the start of July, but it cannot divulge the name until then, the chairman of the supermarket chain's parent company said today. President Chain Store Co chairman Lo Chih-hsien (羅智先) was asked by reporters after a shareholders' meeting to confirm whether the company has settled on a new name for the supermarket brand. In March, the government-registered name of two Carrefour Taiwan branches was quietly changed to "Le Chia Kang" (樂家康) in Chinese, raising speculation that has been selected as the name. Lo said that because of local regulations and contractual obligations, the