Taipei District Court judges presiding over former Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) legislator Diane Lee’s (李慶安) dual citizenship case yesterday said they may consider trying her for corruption — which carries more serious consequences than the fraud and forgery charges she was indicted for.
During her trial, Lee told the court she did nothing wrong during her terms as legislator. She admitted to being a US citizen during her service, but said she had mistakenly believed that public officials automatically lose their US citizenship status when they are sworn in.
The judges remained skeptical, however, saying that if Lee was misinformed on related legislation, she would not have called on former Taipei deputy mayor Chen Shih-meng (陳師孟) to step down in 1994 when she questioned him regarding his US citizenship.
PHOTO: CNA
The judges have scheduled an additional trial date to decide whether to try Lee for violating the Punishment of Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例).
If convicted of corruption, Lee could face more than seven years in prison.
Speaking to reporters yesterday, Lee said: “We respect the court’s decision.”
Her attorney, Chuang Hsiu-ming (莊秀銘), said they were confident about the case.
Lee’s dual citizenship scandal first emerged in March last year, when the Chinese-language Next Magazine reported that she still possessed a US passport.
The Nationality Act (國籍法) prohibits government officials from holding dual citizenship and requires that those who are dual citizens give up their foreign citizenship before assuming office.
In January, the Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office received official confirmation from the US State Department that Lee’s US citizenship remained valid.
Prosecutors allege that in the personnel forms she filled out as a Taipei City councilor in 1994 and during her three terms as a lawmaker starting in 1998, Lee deliberately left blank the field asking whether she held citizenship from any country other than the Republic of China.
Prosecutors say that the more than NT$100 million (US$3 million) in income Lee earned during her terms as councilor and lawmaker were therefore gained illegally because Lee held the positions illegally.
The money includes NT$22.68 million in income and public funds from her term as city councilor and NT$80.09 million from three terms as legislator.
Lee resigned from the KMT last December and gave up her position early this year.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not