The National Communications Commission (NCC) is investigating allegations that ERA News (年代新聞) took calls from victims of Typhoon Morakot and did not relay their requests for help to the authorities after broadcasting them.
Jason Ho (何吉森), director of the NCC’s communication content department, said the commission had received three separate messages through its online system about an article allegedly written by an anonymous ERA News employee.
“We have sent an official notice to ERA News and asked them to explain to us how they handled the information gathered from those calls,” Ho said. “To be on the safe side, we will verify the details ourselves via other sources.”
The anonymous ERA news employee published an article saying the television station had allegedly mishandled the victims’ requests.
“I received a call from Mr Tsou (鄒) in Jiaxian Township (甲仙鄉), and he gave me a list of addresses of missing persons that need to be rescued. I asked around, and the reply I got was: ‘Why do you have to type out the addresses? Why do we have to handle requests? The people only called and told the anchors. That’s it!’”
“People kept calling in, and we urged them to call us and assured them that their requests would be handed on to the rescuers,” the employee said. “The truth was that the requests were written on pieces of paper that just piled up on the desk. I was trying to find out the answers to my questions, and all I got was a weird smile and a gesture that meant to shush me up. From 8am to 3am, nobody bothered to do anything with the requests.”
“We took advantage of vulnerable and anxious people as news sources, so that these beautifully dressed reporters could make live broadcasts and pretend that they cared about the callers,” the employee said.
ERA News issued a statement on its Web site denying the allegation.
“Our news team crossed many collapsed roads and rapid torrents to reach victims,” the station said. “We also made lists of callers’ requests and sent them to the Central Emergency Operation Center and our offices in central and southern Taiwan. We cannot say that we did everything perfectly, but we are sincere and determined.”
ERA added it would file a lawsuit against any person producing or spreading untruthful statements.
‘RELIABLE PARTNER’: US Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar praised the ‘Taiwan model,’ saying that the nation brought its spirit to its COVID-19 response The first memorandum of understanding (MOU) on health cooperation between the Ministry of Health and Welfare and the US Department of Health and Human Services was yesterday signed at the Centers for Disease Control in Taipei. The memorandum was signed between the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) and the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in the US, by AIT Director Brent Christensen and Taiwan Council for US Affairs Chairperson Jen-ni Yang (楊珍妮). US Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar and Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) witnessed the signing of the memorandum, designed to enhance the nations’
Minister of Foreign Affairs Joseph Wu (吳釗燮) yesterday tweeted a welcome to Somaliland’s first representative to Taiwan, Mohamed Omar Hagi Mohamoud, who arrived on Friday. Mohamoud had “braved Chinese pressure” to take up his new post, Wu wrote. “The fact ‘sovereignty & friendship aren’t for sale’ deserves international recognition,” referring to a Somaliland media report earlier this month that Somaliland President Muse Bihi Abdi had rejected an offer by the Chinese government in exchange for ending its rapprochement with Taiwan. Wu also thanked the US National Security Council (NSC) for praising Taiwan-Somaliland ties. A council tweet on July 10 praised Taiwan
‘A RICH STORY’: People need to visit Taichung to experience real gourmet food, the transportation minister said, as 21 restaurants there made it to the Bib Gourmand list Seventy-five restaurants and street vendors in Taipei and Taichung made the Michelin Guide’s Bib Gourmand list this year, including 47 that were listed last year, the Tourism Bureau said yesterday. Insepctors from the Michelin Guide started rating restaurants and street vendor food in the nation’s capital in 2018. For the third edition this year, inspectors would evaluate the gourmet scenes in Taipei and, for the first time, Taichung. Before revealing the list of Michelin-starred restaurants, the guide first discloses its Bib Gourmand list, which contains restaurateurs and food vendors that serve high-quality three-course meals at a total cost of NT$1,000
POLICY PROPOSAL: Shorter quarantines with stricter test requirements would help keep the number of undetected asymptomatic cases low, preventing flare-ups of COVID-19 National Taiwan University (NTU) College of Public Health vice dean Tony Chen (陳秀熙) yesterday said a classification for foreign countries based on COVID-19 infection risk should be introduced, and the mandatory 14-day quarantine shortened to five days with two mandatory tests for travelers from high-risk countries. New imported cases and foreign nationals testing positive after returning home from Taiwan has sparked public debate on whether the government should expand COVID-19 testing to all inbound travelers to better detect asymptomatic cases locally, he said. Taiwan has so far done a good job detecting most COVID-19 cases at its border, due to strict border