Despite the damage inflicted by Typhoon Morakot on numerous schools in central and southern Taiwan, the fall semester will begin as scheduled at the end of this month, the Ministry of Education said yesterday.
Yang Chang-yu (楊昌裕), director of the ministry’s Department of Elementary Education, told reporters that the schedule applies to schools nationwide except for those that sustained large-scale damage from the typhoon.
The ministry’s latest statistics showed that 1,273 schools were affected by floods and mudslides, causing NT$1.8 billion (US$54.7 million) in losses.
These included more than 1,000 elementary and junior high schools, 125 senior and vocational schools and 35 colleges and universities, Yang said.
Schools in Kaohsiung County suffered the most, with estimated losses of NT$520 million, Yang said.
Five primary schools — Chiayi County’s Shanmei Primary School and Taihe Elementary School, Kaohsiung County’s Xiaolin Elementary School and Minzu Elementary School and Nantou’s Lunghua Elementary School — were wiped out by landslides, and it would be impossible to complete reconstruction at the original sites before the new semester begins, Yang said.
The ministry would review plans to rebuild or relocate the schools, he said.
The ministry also called for 10,000 college volunteers to help the schools with reconstruction.
“We hope universities would mobilize their students to do volunteer work at [disaster-hit] schools,” Vice Minister of Education Lu Mu-lin (呂木琳) said. “If every university sends about 100 students, there will be 10,000 volunteers in total,” Lu said.
Numerous universities and colleges have launched projects to ensure that students affected by the catastrophe would be able to continue their schooling.
The Supreme Court on Tuesday found four men guilty of attempted murder in the 2017 stabbing of Spanish surfer Ignacio Prio on a Pingtung County beach in the final ruling in the case, sentencing them to three-and-a-half to six years in prison. The defendants had appealed their convictions for attempted murder in the first and second rulings, which had also led to prison sentences ranging from three-and-a-half years to six years. The then-42-year-old Prio went to Jialeshui Beach (佳樂水) near Kenting (墾丁) on March 31, 2017, was attacked after he asked four men to remove their fishing lines from an area
‘IMMORAL, INSINCERE’: Huang Kun-huei said that Ma was ‘distorting history’ in claiming that Lee Teng-hui laid the foundation for the so-called ‘1992 consensus’ Former Presidential Office secretary-general Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) on Saturday rejected former president Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) claim that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had been a proponent of Beijing’s “one China” principle. Lee, who served as president from 1988 to 2000, died in Taipei on Thursday last week. After visiting the Taipei Guest House on Saturday to pay his respects to Lee, Ma posted on Facebook that “28 years ago on this day” Lee hosted a session of the now-defunct National Unification Council, during which he passed a resolution on the “one China” principle. That resolution became the basis of the Chinese Nationalist Party’s
NEW ERA: Taiwan, which has controlled its virus outbreak, now faces the challenge of safely resuming economic exchanges with other nations, Chang Shan-chwen said People should not focus entirely on having zero new confirmed COVID-19 cases in Taiwan, but neglect overall control over the disease situation, Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) specialist advisory panel convener Chang Shan-chwen (張上淳) said yesterday. Chang made the remark at a forum in Taipei discussing the steps Taiwan should take in the post-pandemic era, organized by the Chinese-language magazine Global Views Monthly. Chang, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Director-General Chou Jih-haw (周志浩), and Stanford University’s Center for Policy, Outcomes and Prevention director C. Jason Wang (王智弘) each made a presentation, followed by a panel discussion with Chang, Wang and Buddhist Tzu
DIPLOMATIC MOVES: Beijing is reportedly pressing the state after reports of forming links with Taiwan, while the ministry is also planning to reopen its office in Guam soon A representative office is set to open in Somaliland at the end of this month, at the earliest, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said yesterday amid reports that Beijing is sending a diplomatic delegation to the east African country. The ministry on July 1 announced that Taiwan and Somaliland would establish representative offices, following a report by the Somaliland Chronicle Web site. It said at the time that the two nations did not plan to establish formal ties. Somaliland President Muse Bihi Abdi has instructed close confidants to explore the possibility of “mutual recognition between Taiwan and Somaliland,” the Somaliland Chronicle reported