“We counted the number of people taking refuge every day after the disaster to make sure everyone was safe, but we were unable to account for 32 people,” said Chiu Chin-feng (邱錦豐), who works as an operator of an excavator.
Chiu told his story after being rescued from Liukuei Township’s (六龜) Hsinkai Community (新開部落) on Wednesday.
Chiu, who was the first of the victims to be rescued in a transport cage over the raging Laoneng River (荖濃溪), confirmed that there had been 32 fatalities in the community after the mudslides last Saturday.
PHOTO: SAM YEH, AFP
On Tuesday, Pan Hsing-pei (潘星貝), a community official, informed Liukuei Township Chief Lin Chun-chieh (林俊傑) of the death toll by delivering a note using a slingshot because the Hsinfa Bridge (新發橋), the only way out of the community, had collapsed.
The mudslide victims also put up a piece of cardboard on their side of the bridge with the message “32 people killed, SOS,” to inform rescue teams about the situation.
Chiu said he was helping residents of the community clear away mud when the landslides hit at about 8:45pm last Saturday.
Houses nearby fell like dominos as they were wiped out by the landslides, Chiu said.
He rushed to Pan’s house after narrowly escaping the landslides, but he was too terrified to sleep that night, Chiu said.
Some Liukuei residents who participated in rescue work had been able to reach the community on Wednesday, but they found that the mudslides were chest deep and they said they could smell dead bodies under the mud.
Chen Jung-kun (陳榮坤), a resident living in Hsinfa Village (新發村), also had a brush with death.
The mudslides induced by days of torrential rain wiped out Chen’s house at about 6pm when he was cooking for his 85-year-old mother.
Chen was immediately trapped in the mud, but he managed to crawl out after a long struggle, he said.
His mother was not as fortunate.
Chen said he could only look back at his mother’s room and say: “I’m sorry. I have to escape first.”
With only a pair of underpants on, he managed to get help.
Later, he and three friends returned and spent three days digging out his mother’s body with their bare hands.
When he saw his mother’s body, Chen could no longer hold back the tears.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY CHEN WEN-HUI AND HUANG HSU-LEI
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not