The government’s dealings with China are “worrisome” because they are conducted in an oblique fashion and without a public consensus, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said yesterday.
Tsai was briefing Japanese media yesterday on the purpose of Sunday’s anti-government demonstration, saying it was to protest against President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) policies, especially those related to Taiwan-China relations.
Sunday’s rally is also a protest against the government’s proposed amendment to the Assembly and Parade Act (集會遊行法), which would turn Taiwan into a police state if passed, she said.
The passage of the act, she warned, would restrict people’s freedom to speak and assemble. This would be the antithesis of democracy, she said.
The DPP will provide more details on the protest at an international press conference today.
Meanwhile, Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus deputy secretary-general John Wu (吳志揚) urged the DPP to cancel its rally on Sunday.
Citing a poll conducted by the Chinese-language China Times yesterday that said 56.1 percent of respondents were satisfied with the Ma administration’s performance over the past year, up from 45 percent in another poll last month, Wu told a press conference that the legitimacy of the DPP’s rally would be questioned.
KMT caucus secretary-general Yang Chiung-ying (楊瓊瓔) said: “The DPP should understand that improvement in the economy, rather than political wrangling, is the public’s first priority.”
The poll surveyed 1,019 people earlier this week and showed an increase of 11.2 percentage points in Ma’s rating since a poll taken last month. His rating is up from 35.5 percent in July when Taiwan fell victim to the global financial downturn.
In related news, pan-blue camp Taipei City councilors yesterday condemned Taipei City’s Department of Transportation for failing to present complete traffic control measures on Monday for the DPP’s sit-in protest, urging the department to protect the “rights of the majority.”
The DPP obtained a permit to hold a rally on Ketagalan Boulevard on Sunday, but decided not to apply for permission for the sit-in protest that will last until Monday.
New Party Taipei City Councilor Wang Hung-wei (王鴻薇) said although the DPP refused to make the 24-hour sit-in protest legal by applying to the Taipei City Government for permission, the department should still draw up traffic control measures for people who need to work on Monday.
“The sit-in protest is two days away and the department has only presented a traffic control plan for the rally on Sunday. The traffic on Monday is what we are concerned about because most people will be returning to work,” she said yesterday at the Taipei City Council.
New Party Taipei City Councilor Hou Kuang-chun (侯冠群) also demanded that the department and Taipei City’s Police Department present a traffic plan so that those who need to visit National Taiwan University Hospital or go to schools near the Presidential Office would not be affected by the sit-in.
Fang Yang-ning (方仰寧), director of Taipei City Police Department’s Traffic Division, said it would implement flexible traffic controls on Monday as it was difficult to estimate the exact number of protesters who will stay for the sit-in. Fang, who handled traffic control during the 24-hour sit-in protest against then president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) in 2006, promised to make sure students and patients would be able to enter the area unimpeded.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY FLORA WANG AND AFP
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not