The government yesterday put forward a proposal to recognize Chinese diplomas and allow Chinese students to study in Taiwan.
Premier Liu Chao-shiuan (劉兆玄) said in a statement that the approval of proposed amendments to the Statute Governing the Relations between the People of the Taiwan Area and the Mainland Area (兩岸人民關係條例), the University Act (大學法) and the Junior College Law (專科學校法) during yesterday’s Cabinet meeting signaled “the opening up of a substantial and constructive interaction in cross-trait cultural and education exchanges.”
The proposal, however, marked a departure from one of President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) campaign pledges. He had said that he would not recognize Chinese diplomas.
Director of the Ministry of Education’s Department of Higher Education Ho Chuo-fei (何卓飛) told a press conference that the government would impose a series of restrictions and conditions on Chinese students to ensure that Taiwanese students’ right to an education would not be threatened.
Under the amended laws, Taiwan will recognize diplomas issued by reputable Chinese universities and set a quota for the number of Chinese studying in Taiwan. Chinese students will not be awarded scholarships by Taiwanese universities, will not be allowed to work in Taiwan, must leave after the completion of their studies and will not be allowed to take civil service exams.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a