Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) Chairwoman Lai Shin-yuan (賴幸媛) yesterday promised to relax existing regulations and allow Chinese spouses who enter Taiwan legally to start working immediately without needing to file applications.
The council will also seek to shorten the waiting period for Chinese spouses to obtain right of abode from eight years to six years and cancel the restrictions on the amount of money Chinese spouses were able to inherit, Lai said yesterday when receiving cross-strait marriage activists and experts on immigrants’ human rights at the council.
Current regulations state that Chinese spouses can apply to work after being married to a Taiwanese for two years.
Lai said the draft amendment to the Statute Governing Relations between the Peoples of the Taiwan Area and Mainland Area (台灣地區與大陸地區人民關係條例) proposed by the MAC states that the spouses be granted the same rights as foreign spouses from other countries and are able to start working immediately after entering Taiwan.
Present regulations mean Chinese spouses can only receive up to NT$2 million (US$ 59,000) in inheritance. Lai said the council would seek to lift that restriction.
Labor Rights Association executive director Wang Chuan-ping (王娟萍) yesterday took the opportunity to urge the government to include Chinese and other foreign spouses who have resided in Taiwan for more than 183 days in the proposed groups eligible to receive consumer vouchers.
“Chinese and other foreign spouses live in Taiwan and are also consumers. They pay taxes and they are willing to live in Taiwan. Their rights to claim the vouchers should not be ignored,” Wang said.
The government did not explain whether or not foreign spouses who have yet to obtain Taiwanese citizenship would be entitled to apply for the vouchers.
Lai, however, made no comment on the issue during her meeting with the representatives.
AGING: While Japan has 22 submarines, Taiwan only operates four, two of which were commissioned by the US in 1945 and 1946, and transferred to Taiwan in 1973 Taiwan would need at least 12 submarines to reach modern fleet capabilities, CSBC Corp, Taiwan chairman Chen Cheng-hung (陳政宏) said in an interview broadcast on Friday, citing a US assessment. CSBC is testing the nation’s first indigenous defense submarine, the Hai Kun (海鯤, Narwhal), which is scheduled to be delivered to the navy next month or in July. The Hai Kun has completed torpedo-firing tests and is scheduled to undergo overnight sea trials, Chen said on an SET TV military affairs program. Taiwan would require at least 12 submarines to establish a modern submarine force after assessing the nation’s operational environment and defense
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
The coast guard today said that it had disrupted "illegal" operations by a Chinese research ship in waters close to the nation and driven it away, part of what Taipei sees a provocative pattern of China's stepped up maritime activities. The coast guard said that it on Thursday last week detected the Chinese ship Tongji (同濟號), which was commissioned only last year, 29 nautical miles (54km) southeast of the southern tip of Taiwan, although just outside restricted waters. The ship was observed lowering ropes into the water, suspected to be the deployment of scientific instruments for "illegal" survey operations, and the coast
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November