Several TV stations were penalized by the National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday for running false news reports or allowing product placements in their news programs, with the aggregate penalty reaching approximately NT$5 million (US$150,000).
The commission punished, among others, TVBS-N, SET TV (三立新聞台) and ERA News (年代新聞) for failing to verify sources and misreporting that a fireman who tried to find victims of the collapsed Houfeng Bridge (后豐大橋) was dead. Each station was asked to pay a fine of NT$300,000.
CONTROVERSY
However, the commission did not punish TVBS for the controversial comments made by its anchorwoman Liao Ying-ting (廖盈婷) last month.
Because of a technical glitch, Liao, who was getting ready to take over the primetime news program on Sept. 27, was caught on TV cursing former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁), saying: “That guy is a psycho. Tell him to cough up the money. He should eat shit.”
Chen’s office issued a statement later that night condemning the remarks.
TVBS later apologized and blamed the blunder on “technical negligence.”
The commission yesterday only told TVBS to reinforce its quality control mechanism.
INDEPENDENT PANEL
The punishments meted out yesterday were recommended by an independent panel entrusted by the commission to review television news and other programs. The commission adopted and approved the panel’s recommendations and announced them in its weekly press conference yesterday.
The ruling was by far the severest handed down by the new batch of NCC commissioners, who took office in August.
The penalty for Formosa Television (FTV, 民視) topped NT$1.6 million, the largest among all TV stations.
FTV's violations included an evening news report claiming that the viewership rating of Niang Chia (娘家), a Taiwanese drama series produced by FTV, had set new records, as well as repeatedly showing fruit juice and ice cream brands during its news reports.
Chinese Television System (CTS, 華視) was asked to pay NT$840,000 for reporting on a brand of women's underwear, an online game and organic food in its news programs.
ENDORSEMENTS
Jason Ho, director of the NCC's communications content department, said the penalty for each channel was determined based on its record and the seriousness of the case.
“Product placements are one of the major things that the panel focuses on when reviewing the programs,” Ho said.
The NCC started reviewing the programs after audiences filed complaints with the commission.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not