Lawmakers across party lines yesterday vowed to block a draft bill that seeks to allow National Security Bureau (NSB) personnel to detain and search anyone who might endanger the safety of an incumbent or retired president when protecting the current or former national leader.
When asked for comment, Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus secretary-general Chang Sho-wen (張碩文) expressed opposition to the NSB-initiated proposal.
“This should never be allowed. Our caucus will definitely kill the bill,” Chang said.
The draft proposal, which had yet to be put to a preliminary review, would allow the current or former president’s NSB bodyguards to stop and search any person or vehicle if the person were considered by the NSB guards to be an “obvious” threat to the safety of an incumbent or retired president.
The draft proposal would also authorize the NSB officials to detain the person at a certain location for a maximum of three hours.
Chang said the draft bill might constitute a violation of human rights and that it was impossible for the KMT caucus to sacrifice human rights for the sake of the legislation.
Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng (王金平) also had reservations regarding the proposal, saying that many legislators had voiced their opposition to it.
He urged all lawmakers to deliberate over how the NSB could ensure human rights while maintaining public order and protecting the current or retired president.
When approached by reporters in the legislature, Chen Ping-lin (陳炳林), director of the NSB’s Law and Regulation Committee, defended the draft bill, saying that the proposal was meant to limit rather than expand the power of NSB officials.
Chen said NSB officials would only enjoy the authority stipulated in the proposal under emergent circumstances or when the security of the incumbent or former president was breached.
Chang Kan-ping (張勘平), deputy director of the NSB’s secret service center, said the bill would not empower the NSB to detain anyone, adding that if the bill were passed, the NSB would hand over any personnel suspected of threatening the safety of the incumbent or retired president to the police.
Meanwhile, the legislature’s Foreign and National Defense Committee yesterday decided to slash NT$10 million (US$312,500) from the NSB’s annual budget for next year as punishment for the incident that saw China’s Association for Relations Across the Taiwan Strait (ARATS) Vice Chairman Zhang Mingqing (張銘清) manhandled by protesters in Tainan last week.
Domestic Intelligence Department Director Lin Hui-yang (林惠陽) attended yesterday’s meeting on behalf of the NSB.
In response to the decision to cut the NSB’s budget, Lin said that the incident happened because Zhang decided to visit the Confucius Temple, the site of the incident, on his own rather than staying with his delegation.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not