Chinese tourists visiting the two frontline islands of Kinmen and Matsu will be granted landing visas or multi-entry visas by the end of this month, but they won’t be permitted to enter Taiwan proper with the visas, an official said yesterday.
The measure was part of a proposal aimed at establishing closer ties across the Taiwan Strait and approved by the weekly Cabinet meeting yesterday.
Also included in the proposal were measures to normalize the small three links — direct communications, transportation and trade links between Kinmen and Matsu and Fuzhou, Xiamen and Quanzhou in China’s Fujian Province.
Mainland Affairs Council Chairwoman Lai Shin-yuan (賴幸媛), whose agency drafted the proposal, said it was in line with the “peace statement” President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) made to mark the recent 50th anniversary of the bombardment of Kinmen.
In light of recent efforts at cross-strait reconciliation, peace and cooperation, Kinmen, Matsu, Xiamen, Fuzhou and the areas surrounding Fujian will gradually become a “common living circle,” for which it would be necessary to normalize the small three links, Lai said.
Under the proposal, Chinese tourists and experts invited to participate in cultural and academic exchanges would be allowed to visit Taiwan via Kinmen and Matsu starting at the end of this month.
Currently, the traveling route is confined only to residents of Fujian Province.
“That way, we can provide Chinese residents more convenient channels to travel to the country and help them reduce transportation costs,” Lai said.
The government will also lift tariffs on low-volume trade of agricultural and aquatic products imported from China to Kinmen and Matsu and simplify customs procedures in a bid to put an end to the prevalent smuggling of such products, Lai said.
Starting in the middle of October, the measures applied to Kinmen and Matsu will be extended to Penghu, for which the links are currently implemented on a case-by-case basis, Lai said.
Lai said that the government was confident that Taiwan and China would start direct sea transportation by the end of this year and that liberalization of the small three links would help the islands withstand any economic impact this may have on them.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not