The manner in which the referendums on entering the UN, held in tandem with the presidential election on Saturday, were conducted leaves much room for improvement, foreign observers said yesterday, adding that the entire voting process lacked the necessary secrecy and was not properly monitored by trained professionals.
The 50 percent voter turnout threshold may have discouraged voters from exercising their right and the system appeared designed to reward non-participants, said Cyd Ho (何秀蘭) of the Initiative and Referendum Institute-Asia during a post-election event organized by the Taiwan Democracy Foundation.
Referendums should be initiated by civic society on socioeconomic policies without the infusion of party politics, Ho said.
The Hong-Kong native said the government and advocates should help generate more public debate so that every view, regardless of socioeconomic status, is heard.
"Let the people, not the political parties, lobby each other. Voters must be well-informed on the issues," she said, adding that many Taiwanese voters had associated the referendums with support for a particular party rather than the issue.
Based on her observations, voter secrecy was also partly compromised because everyone could see who picked up the ballots and who did not, she said.
Voters should all have picked up both referendum and presidential ballots and voted for or against the referendum, she said.
Another participant, Zandro Rapadas, from the National Movement for Free Elections in the Philippines, however, said the act of not picking up a referendum could also be construed as the expression of an opinion.
Skool Zuesongdham, of the Thailand-based Poll Watch, said that at the polling station in Wulai (
Kingsley Rodrigo, a Sri Lankan observer from the Asian Network for Free Elections, said that there was an almost complete absence of trained observers -- both internationally and domestically -- to properly scrutinize the fairness and openness of the election.
DIPLOMATIC MOVES: Beijing is reportedly pressing the state after reports of forming links with Taiwan, while the ministry is also planning to reopen its office in Guam soon A representative office is set to open in Somaliland at the end of this month, at the earliest, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said yesterday amid reports that Beijing is sending a diplomatic delegation to the east African country. The ministry on July 1 announced that Taiwan and Somaliland would establish representative offices, following a report by the Somaliland Chronicle Web site. It said at the time that the two nations did not plan to establish formal ties. Somaliland President Muse Bihi Abdi has instructed close confidants to explore the possibility of “mutual recognition between Taiwan and Somaliland,” the Somaliland Chronicle reported
‘IMMORAL, INSINCERE’: Huang Kun-huei said that Ma was ‘distorting history’ in claiming that Lee Teng-hui laid the foundation for the so-called ‘1992 consensus’ Former Presidential Office secretary-general Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) on Saturday rejected former president Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) claim that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had been a proponent of Beijing’s “one China” principle. Lee, who served as president from 1988 to 2000, died in Taipei on Thursday last week. After visiting the Taipei Guest House on Saturday to pay his respects to Lee, Ma posted on Facebook that “28 years ago on this day” Lee hosted a session of the now-defunct National Unification Council, during which he passed a resolution on the “one China” principle. That resolution became the basis of the Chinese Nationalist Party’s
NEW ERA: Taiwan, which has controlled its virus outbreak, now faces the challenge of safely resuming economic exchanges with other nations, Chang Shan-chwen said People should not focus entirely on having zero new confirmed COVID-19 cases in Taiwan, but neglect overall control over the disease situation, Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) specialist advisory panel convener Chang Shan-chwen (張上淳) said yesterday. Chang made the remark at a forum in Taipei discussing the steps Taiwan should take in the post-pandemic era, organized by the Chinese-language magazine Global Views Monthly. Chang, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Director-General Chou Jih-haw (周志浩), and Stanford University’s Center for Policy, Outcomes and Prevention director C. Jason Wang (王智弘) each made a presentation, followed by a panel discussion with Chang, Wang and Buddhist Tzu
A Belgian man who tested positive for COVID-19 in Taiwan last week is likely to have contracted the disease in Taipei in late June, National Taiwan University (NTU) College of Public Health vice dean Tony Chen (陳秀熙) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Saturday reported that the man, who is in his 20s, came to Taiwan for work on May 3 and tested positive on Wednesday last week as he was about to depart. The man in March reported loss of taste and smell, the center said, adding that he worked in Changhua County, but visited Taipei several times,