The military's new air defense system was hurt somewhat by an intelligence leak to China, but its key technology was not compromised, a Ministry of National Defense (MND) official said yesterday.
The Po Sheng ("Broad Victory") system -- a sophisticated command, control and communications network that the government is purchasing from US defense contractor Lockheed Martin -- was one of the targets highlighted in an espionage affidavit filed earlier this month against a Pentagon analyst in a US court.
The analyst, Gregg Bergersen, was accused of providing classified information to Kuo Tai-sheng (
PHOTO: CNA
intact
Speaking to reporters yesterday, ministry spokesman Yu Sy-tue (
"The US provides Taiwan with the system's infrastructure, but Taiwan still controls the key integral technology," he said.
"The damage was within our expectations," he said.
A Defense News report said ministry officials were particularly concerned that a program to modernize its C4ISR network might have been compromised.
C4ISR stands for command, control, communications, computers, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, all considered crucial to winning any military confrontation.
The Defense News reported that "Bergersen managed negotiations on the Communications and Information Security Memorandum of Agreement, which allows the United States to release the Type 1 cryptography techniques that would be used for US-Taiwan communications during a war."
It added that "If true, there are concerns that China now has access to the crypto/keying material/algorithms that could allow Beijing to penetrate Taiwan and US networks."
knowledge
Yu acknowledged that Bergersen had knowledge of the Po Sheng system and said he met with Taiwan's defense ministry on that project, and on other issues, which he declined to specify.
He said that Kuo had never been in contact with the ministry.
The Chinese government has called the accusations of espionage in the Po Sheng affair groundless and accused the US of "Cold War thinking."
The Po Sheng system would be a critical element of Taiwan's defense in the event of an attack from China.
Additional reporting by staff writer
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not