A new system to prevent travelers in the "open," or infectious phase of tuberculosis (TB) from boarding international flights more than eight hours long will go online next month, a Centers for Disease Control (CDC) official said yesterday.
The rules are even more stringent for patients infected with the rarer and more serious forms of TB, multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR) and extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis (XDR).
"People in the infectious phase of MDR or XDR will not be allowed on any flights at all for the safety of other passengers," CDC Deputy Director Chou Chih-hao (周志浩) said.
Health authorities said on Tuesday that they had notified some 1,100 TB patients that they are subject to travel restrictions.
Chou said that 188 multi-drug-resistant TB patients and more than 900 other infectious TB patients have been placed under air travel restrictions.
Although the alert system was originally slated to go online next January at the earliest, the schedule was moved up after an MDR patient surnamed Li and his wife broke the travel ban last month, causing concern and an expensive action to locate the couple and bring them home.
The Department of Health (DOH) intends to sue Li for compensation, Chou said.
Once the new system goes online on Sept. 1, infectious TB patients who try to violate air restrictions will be identified when they show their passports before boarding, Chou said.
"We have provided the National Immigration Agency with a list of patients in the `open' phase of TB and this will be updated daily," Chou said.
Because patients' status can change overnight, patients on the list can still travel freely if they have a document from their doctor stating that they are no longer infectious.
There is currently no way for TB patients with urgent reasons to travel to get around the restrictions, Chou said.
"With proper treatment, most tuberculosis patients can get past the infectious phase in two weeks," he said.
"It takes a lot longer for MDR and XDR patients and they might have to explore surgical options such as removing parts of their lung," Chou said.
Additional reporting by CNA
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not