A government program designed to recover the Chinese Nationalist Party's (KMT) stolen assets was the subject of heated debate yesterday as the Government Information Ministry (GIO) and Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) lawmakers traded barbs on accusations of deceit and abuse of public funds.
Under the program headed by the Cabinet's Research Development and Evaluation Commission, the government would allocate NT$9.5 million (US$289,000) to hold exhibitions around the country on its campaign to retrieve the KMT's stolen assets.
GIO Minister Shieh Jhy-wey (謝志偉) yesterday said that the program was a "very good" plan that a "responsible" government should implement.
He was responding to KMT Legislator Lai Shyh-bao's (
Lai also accused the commission of adopting a limited bidding approach in its search for a company to undertake the exhibitions in order to let specific parties profit from the program.
"Both of the accusations are wrong," Shieh said.
Shieh said the Democratic Progressive Party government came up with the program for the good of the public and the nation, and not for the party itself.
Spending NT$9.5 million to get back the KMT's stolen assets, which are worth tens of billion of NT dollars for the public is sound government policy, he said.
Shieh added that the commission has adopted an open, public -- and not a limited -- bidding approach, meaning there is no limit to the number of bidders.
Responding to Shieh's comments, KMT Legislator Lu Shiow-yen (
The DPP has called on the government to hold a referendum on retrieving the KMT's stolen assets in tandem with next year's presidential election, claiming it had collected sufficient signatures from the public to validate the request.
Meanwhile, the commission yesterday issued a statement dismissing Lai's accusation about the bidding approach, saying it had not set any limitation on the number of bidders.
The statement said that the bidding conformed to stipulations in the Government Procurement Law (
DPP caucus whip Wang Sing-nan (
"If the KMT refuses to return the assets, whatever it says about giving Taiwan hope would only be lies," he told a press conference.
Wang said it is correct for the Cabinet to hold an exhibition on the stolen assets because the public would then be able to understand how the KMT stole them.
DPP Legislator Huang Wei-cher (
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY FLORA WANG
Also see story:
Editorial: The albatross of KMT party assets
The Taipei Grand Mosque yesterday said its earlier decision to cancel Eid al-Fitr celebrations on Sunday to mark the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan would stand, even though there have been no new domestic cases of COVID-19 in more than a month. It will be the first time in 60 years that the event has not be held at the mosque. The Ministry of Labor had asked all mosques to suspend Eid al-Fitr celebrations and prayers this year, due to COVID-19 concerns, and encouraged Muslims to pray at home. This year Ramadan began on April 23 and is to
KAOHSIUNG VOTE: A city official allegedly wrote a message calling on supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu not to participate in the vote next month Prosecutors on Wednesday initiated an investigation of Kaohsiung Civil Affairs Bureau Director-General Tsao Huan-jung (曹桓榮) for allegedly telling supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) to interfere with a recall vote against Han, while pan-green politicians denounced the mayor and his team for devising ways to obstruct voting. After receiving complaints from residents, the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office launched its probe of Tsao for alleged breaches of the Civil Servants Election and Recall Act (公職人員選舉罷免法). Complainants provided evidence that Tsao on Saturday last week wrote on messaging app Line that Han supporters should not vote in the June 6 recall vote, saying:
BILINGUAL ASSISTANCE: The center launched a chat bot that features Chinese and English interfaces to provide foreigners with instant information about the pandemic The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday said that it would discuss with other nations the possibility of allowing businesspeople to visit on a case-by-case basis. Asked about loosening border restrictions, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said at the daily CECC news briefing that while the center is cautious about opening the nation’s borders, it would aim to diminish obstacles for important trade interactions without risking transmission of the novel coronavirus. Several foreign representatives in Taiwan have expressed an interest in the matter and the center would conduct related negotiations with the help of the
DELUSIONAL: The male patient said he did not know that the woman had mental problems, but the court said that her being restrained in isolation should have given him pause The Taiwan High Court has ordered the Jhudong branch of the Taiwan National University Hospital and a male patient to jointly pay a former female patient’s family NT$400,000 in compensation after the man had sex with the woman, who has mental problems, while hospitalized. The 26-year-old woman has been diagnosed with a mental disorder, a symptom of which is that she obsessively seeks to have sex, her mother said. The mother filed a formal complaint and sought damages from the hospital and the male patient surnamed Chen (陳) after finding out that her daughter had sex with the man while