A 70-year-old man in Kaohsiung suffered eosingophilic meningitis caused by a parasitic nematode infestation that reached his brain after eating raw frogs sashimi-style.
"It's never a good idea to eat raw frogs or snails," said Lai Chung-hsu (賴重旭) of E-da hospital's infectious disease department. Lai authored a paper on the case that was recently published in the American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.
The Liberty Times (the Taipei Times' sister newspaper) reported that following advice from his friends, the man ate eight small frogs about 4cm to 5cm long to treat his aching back and lumbar area.
Practitioners of a local folk remedy claim that a patient can strengthen his bones by eating raw frog meat and bones. After catching the creatures, the man cleaned, gutted and chopped them before eating them dipped in soy sauce and washed down with liquor.
However, consuming uncooked frog also carries the risk of ingesting parasites and the man unwittingly became infected with Angiostrongylus cantonensis -- or rat lungworm -- a parasitic nematode endemic to Southeast Asia and the Pacific region.
The parasite usually lives in the lungs of its rodent hosts, producing eggs that hatch into juveniles that travel up the respiratory tract and into the hosts' digestive system.
Feces containing the juveniles then pass into an intermediate host, usually snails, but also slugs, fish, small molluscs and, in this case, frogs.
If an intermediate host is ingested by a human, the adult parasite works its way from the digestive tract into the blood and eventually migrates to the brain, causing eosingophilic meningitis.
The worm then dies in the brain without completing its life cycle, Lai said.
After the incubation period had passed, the man began to demonstrate symptoms such as headaches, abdominal pains and a loss of strength all over his body, the Liberty Times reported. After going to several hospitals without obtaining a prognosis of his condition, he ended up at Kaohsiung county's E-da hospital where he was finally diagnosed and treated, Lai said.
He suffers from no apparent lasting ill-effects from the episode.
The man subsequently identified the frogs he ate as Rana Plancyi, or the green pond frog.
"This is the first documented case of an Angiostrongylus cantonensis infection after eating raw frog," Lai said. "It is far more common to find the infection caused by eating raw snails. In recent years, Thai workers have become infected after eating raw snails with lemon juice -- which they are wont to do in Thailand."
"There have also been cases of Angiostrongylus cantonensis infection after patients consumed contaminated vegetable juice," Lai said.
Lai said that the severity of eosingophilic meningitis depends on the quantity of parasites ingested.
"In severe cases, the condition might cause long-term neurological damage or even death," he said.
SPEEDING ELETRIC VEHICLES: Available without license requirements, the low-cost vehicles, especially if illicitly modified, can often reach a dangerous speed The government should crack down on illegal electric bicycles and scooters, the non-profit Consumers’ Foundation said on Friday, citing research on the potentially dangerous speed of the vehicles. Electric bicycles and lightweight electric scooters have gained popularity as they do not require registration and riders do not need licenses, the foundation said, adding that as many as 40 percent of them can reach speeds exceeding the legal limit of 25kph for non-licensed two-wheelers. Some consumers also purchased legal electric vehicles and modified them to reach higher speeds, it said. “If the government does not step up efforts to confiscate these
NEW CASE REPORTED: A man who returned from South Africa on a flight with the nation’s 460th and 461st cases has now tested positive for the disease The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday said that there is no need to test all arrivals to the nation for COVID-19, a policy the Executive Yuan supports. The center reported one new imported case, bringing the nation’s tally of confirmed cases to 477. The new case is a Taiwanese man in his 60s who on July 25 returned from South Africa, said Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang (莊人祥), who is also the CECC’s spokesman. The man had returned to Taiwan on the same flight as cases Nos. 460 and 461, reported on July 27, Chuang said. On July 24,
More than half of Taiwan’s middle-aged population, those aged between 40 and 64, have at least one of the “three highs” — high blood pressure, high blood lipids or high blood sugar — and an unhealthy waist size, the Health Promotion Administration (HPA) said, adding that more than 30 percent also have metabolic syndrome. The HPA, the Taiwan Millennium Health Foundation and local health departments are cooperating to encourage people to regularly measure their waist circumference and keep it at a healthy size — no more than 90cm for adult men and no more than 80cm for adult women. Taichung Veterans General
‘RELIABLE PARTNER’: US Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar praised the ‘Taiwan model,’ saying that the nation brought its spirit to its COVID-19 response The first memorandum of understanding (MOU) on health cooperation between the Ministry of Health and Welfare and the US Department of Health and Human Services was yesterday signed at the Centers for Disease Control in Taipei. The memorandum was signed between the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) and the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in the US, by AIT Director Brent Christensen and Taiwan Council for US Affairs Chairperson Jen-ni Yang (楊珍妮). US Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar and Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) witnessed the signing of the memorandum, designed to enhance the nations’