Taipei Mayor Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) yesterday acknowledged the Taipei City Government's passiveness in handling the Beitou cable car project, while accusing the Ministry of the Interior (MOI) of "shifting the focus" of the issue.
Several MOI officials including Vice Minister of the Interior Yen Wan-chin (顏萬進) were detained last week by the Taipei District Court on suspicion of taking bribes in connection with the construction of a cable car project in Taipei's Beitou (北投) District.
Minister of the Interior Lee Yi-yang (李逸洋) and an environmental group, however, took aim at the city government, which is the supervisory agency of the project, blaming it for altering the project so that it would not require an environmental impact assessment.
"The project was led by Ma Ying-jeou's Taipei City Government ... But he blamed the central government," Lee said yesterday during a press conference.
Ma yesterday repeated that the city government had no involvement in the case.
"Our staff members may not be sufficiently alert [to the flaws of the construction]. Maybe they should be more active, but so far I don't see any signs suggesting that they are involved in the scandal," Ma said yesterday after presiding over a municipal meeting at Taipei City Hall.
Clarification
The city government has held three press conferences recently in an attempt to clarify the issue. Four staff members from the department were summoned by the prosecutors on Monday as witnesses. In the face of a series accusations, Ma said he was willing to explain the matter to the prosecutors if necessary.
Ma yesterday repeated that the original cable car project, which was approved by the Executive Yuan in 1995, included the construction of a cable car system from Qinshui Park in Xinbeitou (新北投) to Yangmingshan (陽明山) National Park, cable car stations and stores, but did not include the construction of hot spring hotels.
Facing accusations from Lin Tzu-ling (林子凌), secretary general of the Wild At Heart Legal Defense Association, who said that it was the city government not the ministry that added "a training dormitory and hot spring hotel" to the project proposal in 2004, Lee Shu-chuan (李四川), director of the Bureau of Public Works' New Construction department, yesterday showed documents to prove that the ministry had added the items last year.
"It was the MOI that added the two items last year, not the city government. I think they made a mistake regarding the time," he said yesterday during a press conference, adding that the right to issue construction licenses belonged to the ministry as 90 percent of the project was located within the national park.
Opportunity
Shrugging off criticism from the environmental group, Ma said that the groups opposed the project from the beginning, and the scandal provided them with an opportunity to criticize the city government.
"[The MOI and environmental groups] should not shift the focus. This is a bribery scandal. We can examine possible flaws in the administrative procedures, but it shouldn't be confused with the scandal," he said.
Lee said the construction below Yangmingshan will continue as the area is outside the boundaries of the national park and the city government will not rescind the project contract unless it is proved guilty.
Taipei Information Department Director Lo Chih-cheng (羅智成) yesterday asked Lee to offer an apology for his staff's involvement in the scandal, rather than finding faults with the city government.
The inspection equipment and data transmission system for new robotic dogs that Taipei is planning to use for sidewalk patrols were developed by a Taiwanese company, the city’s New Construction Office said today, dismissing concerns that the China-made robots could pose a security risk. The city is bringing in smart robotic dogs to help with sidewalk inspections, Taipei Deputy Mayor Lee Ssu-chuan (李四川) said on Facebook. Equipped with a panoramic surveillance system, the robots would be able to automatically flag problems and easily navigate narrow sidewalks, making inspections faster and more accurate, Lee said. By collecting more accurate data, they would help Taipei
TAKING STOCK: The USMC is rebuilding a once-abandoned airfield in Palau to support large-scale ground operations as China’s missile range grows, Naval News reported The US Marine Corps (USMC) is considering new sites for stockpiling equipment in the West Pacific to harden military supply chains and enhance mobility across the Indo-Pacific region, US-based Naval News reported on Saturday. The proposed sites in Palau — one of Taiwan’s diplomatic allies — and Australia would enable a “rapid standup of stored equipment within a year” of the program’s approval, the report said, citing documents published by the USMC last month. In Palau, the service is rebuilding a formerly abandoned World War II-era airfield and establishing ancillary structures to support large-scale ground operations “as China’s missile range and magazine
A 72-year-old man in Kaohsiung was sentenced to 40 days in jail after he was found having sex with a 67-year-old woman under a slide in a public park on Sunday afternoon. At 3pm on Sunday, a mother surnamed Liang (梁) was with her child at a neighborhood park when they found the man, surnamed Tsai (蔡), and woman, surnamed Huang (黃), underneath the slide. Liang took her child away from the scene, took photographs of the two and called the police, who arrived and arrested the couple. During questioning, Tsai told police that he had met Huang that day and offered to
A British man was arrested for attempting to smuggle 14.37kg of marijuana into Taiwan through Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport, Taipei Customs said late yesterday. The man, who arrived from Bangkok at 9pm on Friday, was asked by customs officers to open his luggage during a random inspection, Taipei Customs said in a news release. The passenger, whose identity was not disclosed, refused to open his suitcase and tried to flee the restricted area. He was eventually subdued by three customs officials and an Aviation Police Bureau officer. A later search of his checked luggage uncovered 14.37kg of marijuana buds. The case was handed over