■ Expatriates
Petition launched in Paris
About 40 Taiwanese students and expatriates in France launched a campaign yesterday at the Taiwan Representative Office in Paris to urge members of local Taiwanese communities to sign a statement requesting that the UN play an active role in maintaining peace in the Taiwan Strait. The statement said that Taiwan has no intention of challenging the rights of any UN members by pushing its bid to join the world body, adding that Beijing's continuous obstruction in dealing with Taiwan's efforts to join the international community can only irritate the 23 million people of Taiwan and Taiwanese living abroad. "This obstruction will not help improve relations between the two sides of the Taiwan Strait. On the contrary, it will be harmful to peace in the Strait," it said.
■ Politics
PFP candidate says he's best
Former People First Party (PFP) Legislator Hsieh Chang-chieh (謝章捷) yesterday called for his Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) rival Cho Po-yuan (卓伯源) to drop out of the race for Changhua County commissioner, saying that he does not rule out the possibility of running as a KMT flag-bearer. Hsieh also called on the PFP and KMT headquarters to speed up their merger plan and begin by cooperating to jointly nominate a better candidate in Changhua County. He said that he believes he is the better candidate and stands a better chance of winning the race. In response, Cho said that he has no plan to drop out of the race. He also proposed to settle the matter through a poll or party-to-party negotiations. Cho's office said that it is ridiculous for Hsieh to make such a request.
■ Water supply
Lawmaker slams Ho
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) lawmaker Tu Wen-ching (杜文卿) yesterday demanded the resignations of Minister of Economic Affairs Ho Mei-yueh (何美玥) and Water Resources Agency Director-General Chen Shen-hsien (陳伸賢) for what he called negligence in fixing the nation's flooding problems. Tu threatened to launch another round of action if Premier Frank Hsieh (謝長廷) fails to positively respond to his request. Tu said that Ho and Chen have shown little concern for the flooding problem in his constituency of Miaoli County. One segment of the embankment along Ta-an River (大安溪) collapsed last year and has not yet been fixed, causing flooding during the typhoon season this year, he said. When Tropical Storm Haitang swept through southern Taiwan last month, the water supply in Miaoli County was cut off for two days without notice, Tu said. He later discovered that the water was diverted to Taichung.
■ Culture
Festival to be held in London
Taiwan's top envoy in London said his office will hold a two-day "Taiwan festival" on Saturday and Sunday at Brent Cross, the biggest shopping mall in the north of London, to introduce the country's art and culture. Edgar Lin (林俊義), Taiwan's representative to the UK, said that the festival is aimed at showing the differences between Taiwan and China in the fields of art and cultural performance, as well as clarifying the concept of "China is China, Taiwan is Taiwan." In the past, Lin said, such performances have always been part of the activities of a "Chinese festival" organized by the Chinese Embassy and the municipality of London.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a