Premier Frank Hsieh (謝長廷) yesterday promised that the Cabinet will not propose any rash policies in the wake of Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Chairman Lien Chan's (連戰) five-point "peace agreement" and said that KMT lawmakers do not work as efficiently as their chairman.
The remark was a reference to the speed with which Lien reached a communique with Chinese President Hu Jintao (胡錦濤), while the KMT has for months prevented bills from being introduced into the legislature.
According to the premier, a statement released by the KMT after the Lien-Hu meeting highlighted policies which have already been in the works in Cabinet. He said the statement will not change the government's attitude and he will not give in to political pressure which might result from the five-point communique.
"Parts of the agreement reached between the Lien-Hu meeting on Friday overlaps the Cabinet's policy goals," Hsieh said.
"We will keep going. The communique will not impact [the Cabinet] in any way. It is not going to change anything," the premier added.
The communique will not influence government policy, be they foreign or domestic, Hsieh said.
The premier made the remarks while participating in a beach clean-up activity in Jinshan Township, Taipei County. He was responding to Lien's "joint press statement" after he met with Hu on Friday afternoon.
Hsieh also said that if Hu really wants cross-strait negotiations, he had talked to the wrong person.
"[Hu] spent time discussing cross-strait matters with an opposition party leader who lost the presidential election last year. What kind of difference can Lien make?" Hsieh said.
"It is not logical at all," the premier added.
Hsieh also said that if Lien wants to represent Taiwan, he first needs to win a presidential election.
"If you do not govern, you do not have any authority to make agreements with foreign governments," he said.
Asked whether Lien has broken any laws by entering into an communique with the Chinese president, Hsieh said that the relevant law enforcement officials will determine that when Lien returns to Taiwan.
In addition to commenting on the five-point communique, the premier also criticized the KMT for failing to get things done as quickly as Lien did with Hu.
The premier said that Lien and Hu spent only two hours together and were able to achieve a "vision for cross-strait peace. Lien has set a good example for his party on how to get things done, particularly in the legislature, Hsieh said.
"I do not understand why KMT lawmakers cannot do the same as Lien did while meeting with Chinese President Hu, and help introduce and debate important bills in the legislature that have been pending for months," the premier said.
"There are important domestic issues that we need to work out for the people," the premier said.
And that is [the government's] priority," Hsieh said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not