A teenage college student was arrested on charges of fraud yesterday after allegedly using an Internet "phishing" scam to hack into a bank account and steal money.
\nThe student, who was only identified by his last name Wu, was arrested at his residence Tuesday night by officers from the Internet Crime Investigation Squad of the Criminal Investigation Bureau under the National Police Agency. The squad announced his arrest yesterday morning in a press release.
\n"Over the last two years we've been receiving reports regarding similar crimes. For Wu, we are still trying to figure out how long he has been doing this and how much money he has stolen," the press release said. "Frequent Internet surfers are more than welcome to visit www.antiphishing.org for more information about phishing scams so they can protect themselves," it said.
\nAccording to police, Wu became a hacker by studying on his own and reading computer-related books. His strategy was to forward "membership account confirmation letters" to victims and ask for the usernames and passwords of their bank or Internet accounts. Then, he would use this information to purchase products over the Internet or simply withdraw money through ATMs.
\nTo gain access to his victims' computers, Wu would append a virus to an e-mail message. Once the victim opened his message, the virus would be activated, giving him complete access to their computer from a remote terminal.
\nThe press release said the Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation, Citibank, Bank of America and Yahoo had also been victims of Wu's fraud case.
\nThe squad said in its press release that officers are planning to charge Wu with forgery and fraud before transferring the college student to the prosecutors' office for further interrogation.
\nAs of press time yesterday, Internet Crime Investigation officers were still interrogating Wu to determine if there were additional individual or corporate victims.
\nOnce prosecutors indict him, Wu's case will be heard in a juvenile court as he is under 18, the legal age in Taiwan.
\n"I would like to encourage frequent Internet surfers to keep their anti-virus software updated. The most important thing is ... do not open any suspicious e-mail messages that look unfamiliar to you," said Eric Lee (
FAMILY FEUD: Weng Jen-hsien, who was convicted of killing six people in 2016, was the second prisoner to be executed since President Tsai Ing-wen took office A death row inmate was executed on Wednesday, less than a year after he was convicted of killing six people by setting fire to his home. Minister of Justice Tsai Ching-hsiang (蔡清祥) said that he signed the order and the death sentence was carried out on Wednesday afternoon in New Taipei City. The Supreme Court on July 10 last year sentenced 53-year-old Weng Jen-hsien (翁仁賢) to death after he was convicted of killing his parents, niece, nephew and nephew’s wife and his parents’ caregivers. Weng set fire to his home in Taoyuan’s Longtan District (龍潭) on Feb. 7, 2016, after a family feud
At a campground in Nantou County, a team of women are using ropes to shimmy up a towering seven-story tall Chinaberry tree, fighting their fear of heights and reconnecting with nature. Tree climbing remains somewhat niche in Taiwan, but a growing number of women are embracing the challenge thanks to the island’s first international certified female climber arborist. Sylvia Hsu (許芢涵), 26, said she was inspired to set up her own women-only tree climbing classes after seeing the popularity of similar gatherings in Europe. “A women-only camp is a more relaxed environment,” she said. “I was hooked on trees after my first climb...
Police in Kaohsiung are investigating a possible murder after a woman’s body was found in a plastic container on Thursday. The bucket was found by a person operating an excavator on a construction site at a private lot next to the Ciaotou Sugar Refinery Station (橋頭糖廠站) on the Kaohsiung Mass Rapid Transit system. Police investigator Chen Jen-cheng (陳仁正) yesterday said police had reviewed missing person reports and have narrowed the identity of the victim down to about 20 possible people. Physical evidence suggested she might have been a Fongshan District (鳳山) woman surnamed Lin (林), who was about 60 years old when she
IN PRINCIPLE: The Central Epidemic Command Center began yesterday to ban visits to hospitalized patients, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced 10 new COVID-19 cases — eight imported and two locally transmitted — bringing the nation’s tally of confirmed cases to 339. The imported cases involved six men and two women, all Taiwanese, who had traveled to Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Indonesia, countries in Latin America, the UK or the US before arriving back in Taiwan between March 6 and Tuesday, center data showed. Among them, patient No. 338 was part of a tour group that traveled to Austria and the Czech Republic, and has resulted in an infection cluster of five cases,