The military will activate a new missile command on Jan. 1 incorporating air-defense missiles from the army and land-based, anti-ship missiles from the navy, defense sources said yesterday.
The command, based on the army's current missile control authority, is to preside over the largest number of premium missiles in the armed forces.
The command might also become an independent unit in the future, similar to the the Chinese military's second artillery corps, if it develops as planned.
Missiles to be placed under the command's authority include the locally built Tien Kung-series missiles and the Hawk and Patriot PAC-2 Plus missiles purchased from the US, which are the army's primary air-defense weaponry and which are attached to the army missile control.
The Patriot PAC-3 missile system, which the military has announced it intends to purchase, will also be assigned to the command.
The land-based, Hsiung Feng-series anti-ship missiles will be the only weapons system that the command will take over from the other services. These missiles are currently under navy control.
The command is not expected to encounter problems absorbing the missiles from the army's missile control as the missiles have been under a unified system of control for many years.
But the command might not fare so well in its use of the anti-ship missiles to be transferred from the navy, and the navy had been reluctant to turn over all its Hsiung Feng-series missiles to the command.
The army's air-defense missiles are the first to be taken over by the missile command when it is inaugurated on Jan. 1.
But the navy's anti-ship missiles will not change hands until July 1. By then, the combined number of missiles will number well over 2,000.
The command, to be headed by a two-star army general, will operate from the army's general headquarters, and is effectively an upgrading of the army's missile control, now led by a one-star general.
A defense official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said initial plans for the command incorporated all major air-defense missiles from the three services.
"If the missile command had been built according to the original plan, it could have become a virtually independent missile force. But both the air force and the navy were not happy about the fact that the command was to be controlled by the army. They were quite reserved about the scope of the changes," the official said.
"The air force and navy had doubts about whether the army had the ability to command and control their missile systems. The doubts were reasonable considering that the army is the weakest of the three services in command and control infrastructure," he said.
"The army is the only service to benefit from the change. It could get an extra two-star general as well as a number of lower-ranked positions, which makes a great difference considering that personnel cuts across the services start next year," he added.
As a result of objections from the air force, the command was not provided with its missile systems, such as the land-based Sparrow air-defense missile.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a