A China-based Taiwanese businessman who was kidnapped in Dongguan, Guangdong, last week was reportedly released Sunday after his family paid a ransom of US$1.68 million.
The businessman, whose name was withheld, was reportedly abducted at midnight last Wednesday when he was driving home with a friend after a KTV party in Dongguan.
Two days later, the Dongguan-based kidnappers called the man's wife in Taichung, telling her to pay the ransom -- one of the highest in recent years related to cross-strait kidnappings -- at a roadside point along the Sun Yat-sen Freeway at midnight of the same day.
The ransom was paid in accordance with the instructions, but because the wife did not hear from him after paying the ransom, she made an emergency call to a Taichung City councilman for help at around noon Saturday.
The wife finally received a call from her husband on Sunday morning telling her that he had been released by his kidnappers.
As of Sunday, four of the businessman's alleged abductors had been arrested by Dongguan public security authorities, according to Criminal Investigation Bureau officials, who have been in contact with their Dongguan counterparts for information on the case.
Chinese police are trying to determine the identity of the four abductors, their motives and whether the kidnapping ring's mastermind is in Taiwan, the bureau said.
According to the bureau officials, the man's wife tried to haggle the ransom down to about US$1 million, telling the kidnappers that the amount of US dollars in cash that they were asking for was difficult to obtain in a single day. However, the kidnappers insisted on the original ransom amount.
CIB officials said they believe that the kidnapping ring's mastermind, who they claim is well aware of the financial status of the man's family, is in Taiwan.
The businessman was reportedly scheduled to return home yesterday, according to bureau authorities and Taichung City police, who are continuing their investigations into the case.
In related news, 63 Taiwanese businessmen and family members have been killed in China since 1991, according to statistics released yesterday by the Straits Exchange Foundation (SEF).
SEF officials said that 115 people from Taiwan have also been reported missing in China over the same period.
Additionally, 50 Taiwanese have either been kidnapped or illegally detained, while 78 others have been robbed, injured or blackmailed, the officials said.
In the first nine months of this year, six Taiwanese have been killed on the mainland, according to the SEF tallies.
The SEF is a quasi-official body authorized to handle exchanges with China in lieu of diplomatic ties.
‘RELIABLE PARTNER’: US Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar praised the ‘Taiwan model,’ saying that the nation brought its spirit to its COVID-19 response The first memorandum of understanding (MOU) on health cooperation between the Ministry of Health and Welfare and the US Department of Health and Human Services was yesterday signed at the Centers for Disease Control in Taipei. The memorandum was signed between the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) and the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in the US, by AIT Director Brent Christensen and Taiwan Council for US Affairs Chairperson Jen-ni Yang (楊珍妮). US Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar and Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) witnessed the signing of the memorandum, designed to enhance the nations’
Minister of Foreign Affairs Joseph Wu (吳釗燮) yesterday tweeted a welcome to Somaliland’s first representative to Taiwan, Mohamed Omar Hagi Mohamoud, who arrived on Friday. Mohamoud had “braved Chinese pressure” to take up his new post, Wu wrote. “The fact ‘sovereignty & friendship aren’t for sale’ deserves international recognition,” referring to a Somaliland media report earlier this month that Somaliland President Muse Bihi Abdi had rejected an offer by the Chinese government in exchange for ending its rapprochement with Taiwan. Wu also thanked the US National Security Council (NSC) for praising Taiwan-Somaliland ties. A council tweet on July 10 praised Taiwan
‘A RICH STORY’: People need to visit Taichung to experience real gourmet food, the transportation minister said, as 21 restaurants there made it to the Bib Gourmand list Seventy-five restaurants and street vendors in Taipei and Taichung made the Michelin Guide’s Bib Gourmand list this year, including 47 that were listed last year, the Tourism Bureau said yesterday. Insepctors from the Michelin Guide started rating restaurants and street vendor food in the nation’s capital in 2018. For the third edition this year, inspectors would evaluate the gourmet scenes in Taipei and, for the first time, Taichung. Before revealing the list of Michelin-starred restaurants, the guide first discloses its Bib Gourmand list, which contains restaurateurs and food vendors that serve high-quality three-course meals at a total cost of NT$1,000
POLICY PROPOSAL: Shorter quarantines with stricter test requirements would help keep the number of undetected asymptomatic cases low, preventing flare-ups of COVID-19 National Taiwan University (NTU) College of Public Health vice dean Tony Chen (陳秀熙) yesterday said a classification for foreign countries based on COVID-19 infection risk should be introduced, and the mandatory 14-day quarantine shortened to five days with two mandatory tests for travelers from high-risk countries. New imported cases and foreign nationals testing positive after returning home from Taiwan has sparked public debate on whether the government should expand COVID-19 testing to all inbound travelers to better detect asymptomatic cases locally, he said. Taiwan has so far done a good job detecting most COVID-19 cases at its border, due to strict border