With the dust yet to settle on Minister of the Interior Yu Cheng-hsien's (余政憲) alleged visit to illegal masseuses, the minister raised more eyebrows yesterday when a Chinese-language tabloid accused him splashing out on a NT$50,000 meal.
\nAccording to a magazine published yesterday, Yu was a customer at a restaurant in an up-market hotel in Kaohsiung where he ordered abalone, a delicacy that costs as much as NT$50,000 a dish.
\nYu's office yesterday declined to comment on the report, which was based on anonymous sources.
\nInstead of paying for the meal himself, the report said that Yu had his business friends pick up the bill.
\nThe magazine also alleged that Yu spent hours gambling in the hotel's presidential suit. Stakes at the hotel can be as much as NT$500,000 a night.
\nOther media yesterday criticized Yu for violating an agreement set down by Premier Yu Shyi-kun and signed by Cabinet officials which stipulates that Cabinet officials should lead a frugal life and avoid attending unnecessary social functions, accepting and sending of flowers and gifts.
\nResponding to Yu Cheng-hsien's alleged employment of two illegal masseuses, Cabinet Spokesman Lin Chia-lung (
Taiwan might be China’s next target after it has “walled off” Hong Kong from the rest of the world with its new national security legislation, Academia Sinica Institute of Sociology fellow Wu Jieh-min (吳介民) said on Thursday. At a seminar organized by the Economic Democracy Union, the Taiwan Association for Human Rights, the Hong Kong Outlanders and the Judicial Reform Foundation, Wu said that the legislation is simultaneously a fig leaf concealing Beijing’s autocratic rule in Hong Kong and a figurative “Berlin Wall,” denying democratic countries access to Hong Kong. Wu said it is evident that Taiwan would be China’s next target. The
The Fancy Frontier manga and anime expo held in Taipei over the weekend has sparked controversy, after a participant allegedly contravened the Act on Offenses Against Sexual Morality (妨害風化罪) by publicly exposing her private parts during a photo shoot. The two-day event opened at the Expo Dome at the Taipei Expo Park on Saturday, attracting numerous comic and anime creators, cosplayers, photographers and fans. Allegedly, a female cosplayer who was not wearing any underwear lifted up her skirt and revealed her private parts at an outdoor photography area near the venue. Event organizers said yesterday that to prevent indecent exposure, they have since
YOUNGEST PATIENT: Cases of botulism have been only sporadically reported over the past few years, with two in 2015, six in 2016 and none in the past three years The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) yesterday reported the nation’s first case of infant botulism this year, a four-month-old boy in northern Taiwan, as well as five new cases of Japanese encephalitis confirmed last week. The boy was introduced to homemade solid food in the middle of last month, but began to experience constipation and loss of appetite on June 23, CDC Epidemic Intelligence Center Deputy Director Guo Hung-wei (郭宏偉) said, adding that he was taken to the hospital when he developed a fever and shortness of breath on June 25. In the hospital, the boy also experienced a rapid heartbeat, limb
The National Taiwan Museum’s Railway Department Park in Taipei is to open to the public today. The park in Datong District (大同) near the North Gate (北門, Beimen) is one of the museum’s four branches. During the Japanese colonial era, the site housed the railway department of the Office of the Governor-General of Taiwan’s Bureau of Transportation. After World War II, it served as the headquarters for the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) for several decades. In 2007, it was listed as a national monument under the Cultural Heritage Preservation Act (文化資產保存法). At an opening ceremony yesterday, Minister of Transportation and Communications Lin Chia-lung