The Taipei District Prosecutors' Office yesterday said it would soon question the sacked superintendent of Taipei Municipal Hoping Hospital, Wu Kang-wen (
Chen Hung-ta (
Chen said that an investigation into the events at Hoping Hospital began last week and that Wu and Lin would be questioned soon, although he did not say when.
A team led by Chief Prosecutor Chen Ta-wei (陳大偉) has begun interviewing Taipei City Government officials and patients, doctors and nurses from Hoping Hospital to decide whether Wu is legally liable for his actions to deal with the outbreak at his hospital last month.
Prosecutors said a number of interviews had been conducted but Chen would confirm only those with Shin Kong Wu Ho-Su Memorial Hospital Vice President Huang Fang-yen (
Chen said that information gathered so far had weakened Wu's position, without elaborating.
Wu was sacked by the Taipei City Government's Bureau of Health on Monday.
However, the bureau would not confirm that it was sacking Wu because of his handling of the SARS outbreak.
"Wu has been working too hard and we hope he can take a good rest," Chiu Shu-ti (
Taipei Municipal Chung Hsing Hospital Superintendent Weng Lin-chung (
Yesterday at Hoping Hospital, 1,210 soldiers from the 6th Army Corp, riding on 50 T-486 light-chemical vehicles and 10 chemical pumpers, began disinfecting the hospital.
Three soldiers wearing chemical protection suits were overcome by the heat and had to leave the hospital, officials said, adding that they all recovered quickly.
According to William Chen (
He said that the renovation work will focus on the hospital's ventilation system and quarantine and disinfection facilities to make it suitable for SARS patients.
"The city government has prepared a budget of NT$140 million for the renovation project at the hospital," Chen said. "On Mayor Ma Ying-jeou's (