Acting director-general of the Department of Health Twu Shiing-jer (
Twu was wrongly accused in early October of sexual harassment and is seeking compensation.
Twu's lawyer, Tsai Mao-sung (蔡茂松), arrived at the Taipei Prosecutors' Office yesterday afternoon and spoke on Twu's behalf.
Tsai said that Twu wanted PFP Legislator Yang Fu-mei (
Tsai has already named Cheng Ko-jung (
According to Tsai, after the case was first made public on Oct. 1, Yang held a press conference on Oct. 3 at the Legislative Yuan and said that a cleaning lady claimed to have witnessed Twu having sex with one of his female aides in his office. Twu was the director-general of the Center for Disease Control at the time of the alleged incident.
Evidence lacking
However, Yang failed to provide any evidence to support her accusations and speculation has been rife that the allegation was motivated by jealousy.
When the media pressed her on the allegations, Yang backpedalled and said the charges were "based on hearsay."
According to Tsai, Hsu is a businessman who sells sports gear. But when Hsu was interviewed by Taiwan Television Enterprise on Oct. 3, he claimed he was a doctor from National Taiwan University Hospital and was at the KTV parlor on Aug. 6 this year, when the alleged sexual harassment occurred.
During the interview, he said that Twu was at the scene but he didn't see Twu doing anything inappropriate.
Hsu was later interviewed by Taipei Chief Prosecutor Chuang Cheng (
"Both Yang's and Hsu's remarks have seriously damaged Twu's reputation. However, none of them apologized and admitted they were wrong, so Twu decided to sue them," Tsai said.
Twu's civil claim seeks a total of NT$50 million from Cheng, Lee and Ding.
NT$1 penalty
However, Twu said he understands that Chen cannot afford his share of this sum -- approximately NT$17 million. Since Cheng has apologized to him publicly on more than one occasion, Twu said on Oct. 9 that Cheng has to pay only NT$1.
Lee and Ding would be forced to share the rest of the sum, NT$49,999,999.
Twu is seeking additional damages from the new defendants.
"The total amount of the civil claim will definitely be increased since we have two more defendants. However, Twu hasn't yet decided how much the difference will be," Tsai said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not