Home / Supplement
Fri, Oct 10, 2003 - Page 14 News List

BA (Honours) English as a Foreign Language

These Programmes allow international students, (non-native speakers of English), to study English as a foreign language, (EFL), and one other subject for the award of a BA degree. If you are interested in developing your language skills to high level of proficiency and develoing your language knowledge and awareness to the levels necessary for the professional use of English, what better way to do this then via a degree programme based in an English-speaking environment.!

What level of proficiency will I achieve?

The Programmes are designed for you to reach a level equivalent to IELTS 8/9, (Cambridge Proficiency +, ALTE 5+), after 3 years of study. What other subject can I study? You can combine EFL with any subject from the list below:

* Business and Management;

* Fine Art,

* History,

* Information Technology,

* Media Studies,

* Music,

* Theology,

* Tourism Management

* Related Arts

You can take EFL as a Joint subject, (50% of your degree), or as a Minor subject, (25% of your degree).

How long are the Programmes? And What qualification will I get?

If you are successful after three years of study you will be awarded a BA in your chosen subject and EFL.

If you leave after one successful year you can be awarded a Certificate of Higher Education; after 2 years, a Diploma of Higher Education.

What will I be able to do when I get my degree?

You will be able to:

* use English professionally in your future career;

* follow post-graduate study in English.

What do the EFL Programmes involve?

''Joint' students take 2 pathways: English Language Studies which develops your own use and awareness of the English language to a high level of competence; Language & Culture which allows you, by examining certain key aspects of British culture, to investigate the relationship between language and culture.

'Minor' students take only the English Language Studies pathway.

What support will I receive?

As an international student you will study on our UK Degree Study Route Programme. This provides you, throughout the time you study with us, with an allocation of individual tutorial support to help you make the transition to study in a new language and new academic culture. We also have an International Student Welfare Officer who is able to assist you with many aspects of your life and study in the UK.

What are the entry requirements?

You should:

* speak a first language other than English;

* have an English level of proficiency of at least IELTS 5.5/TOEFL 530 or equivalent;

* have successfully completed your secondary education.

* Please note that you also need to fulfil the entry requirements of your combining field.

What can I do if my English language level is below the entry requirements?

We also offer 2 preparation programmes:

* 4/5 months, (April - August), for those at IELTS 5.0/TOEFL 500;

* One academic year, (September - May), for those at IELTS 4.5/TOEFL 400+

For more information and for how to apply?

In Taiwan, we recommend you to contact a professional British counseling service centre, WEG, for more information about this programme and Universiity College Chicester, the telephone No. of WEG Head Office is (02) 23516055, of Taichung branch is (04)23169828, WEG webside: http://www.weg.com.tw

We have a channel for you to get in touch, in Taiwan you can contact "WEG"they will provide you professional and free counseling about this programme and our University, WEG will assist you to complete the application from for studying this programme. WEG's webside is http://www.weg.com.tw, Taipei Office tel: (02) 23516055, Taichung Office tel: (04) 23169828, Of course, you are welcome to visit the webside of University College Chichester http://www.ucc.ac.uk to have more information you would like to have.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top