Romelu Lukaku on Monday scored twice, as Inter held on to the top spot in Serie A with a 3-1 win over SSC Napoli to keep the pressure on Juventus, who earlier swept past Cagliari with Cristiano Ronaldo netting his first hat-trick in the Italian top flight.
Antonio Conte’s Inter ended their 23-year wait for a league win in Naples to stay in the pole position — level on points with Juventus after 18 games, but ahead on goal-difference.
“It’s an important victory, winning away to Napoli is never easy,” Conte said after his 100th Serie A win as a coach, but first in Naples. “Napoli have in recent years always been behind Juventus, while Inter was a long way back. This year we have reduced the gap.”
Inter’s three goals all came from mistakes by Napoli, who were runners-up the past two seasons, but only eighth this term.
Lukaku broke through on 14 minutes with a powerful solo run through the Napoli defense, with goalie Alex Meret fumbling the second effort into the goal in the 33rd minute.
Polish striker Arkadiusz Milik pulled a goal back for Napoli four minutes before the break.
However, Lautaro Martinez added the third goal after the hour mark, following another mix-up in the Napoli defense, to give Inter their first win at the Stadio San Paolo since October 1997.
“We made lots of mistakes and scored three goals on ourselves,” Napoli coach Gennaro Gattuso said. “The lads are worried, because they are used to challenging for the Scudetto and this year it’s like this.”
In Turin, Ronaldo struck for the fifth consecutive league game, as the champions bounced back from their Italian Super Cup defeat by Lazio.
“Amazing feeling to kick off 2020 with a hat-trick and a victory,” tweeted Ronaldo, who brought his league tally to 13 goals.
Ronaldo, 34, broke the deadlock just after the interval.
The Portuguese striker added a second from the penalty spot on 67 minutes, then set up substitute Gonzalo Higuain nine minutes from time, before completing his hat-trick a minute later.
APPROPRIATE RESPONSE: The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan expressed ‘sincere regret’ for publishing the image on its in-house magazine and Web site A satirical mock-up depicting the Tokyo Games logo as the novel coronavirus has been pulled from online after Olympic organizers branded it “insensitive” and said that it infringed copyright. The design combines the distinctive, spiky image of the coronavirus cell with the blue-and-white Tokyo Games logo. It appeared on the cover of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan’s magazine. The Tokyo Games have been postponed until next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has left hundreds of thousands of people dead and halted sport worldwide. Club president Khaldon Azhari yesterday said that the club had decided to withdraw the image and remove
Uncertainty grips next year’s postponed Tokyo Olympic Games: Will there be fans or empty stadiums in 14 months? How will thousands of athletes, staff members and technical officials travel, be housed and stay safe amid the COVID-19 pandemic? And the Tokyo Games are not the only event. China, where COVID-19 was first detected, is to hold three mega-sports events in the year after the Tokyo Olympics are set to close. The World University Games in Chengdu, China, are to open, with up to 8,000 athletes, only 10 days after the Tokyo Games close. Next come the Beijing Winter Olympics beginning on Feb. 4, 2022,
When South Korea’s domestic women’s golf tour held its premier event last week — without spectators because of the COVID-19 pandemic — no fewer than three of the world’s top 10 players took part. The country of 52 million people has a disproportionate share of the women’s world golf rankings, providing eight of the current top 20. In a demonstration of their prominence, South Korean women have won at least one major every season since 2010, with coronavirus cancellations perhaps the biggest threat to their run this year. The phenomenon, players and commentators have said, results from driven parents, intense training, a highly
The COVID-19 pandemic has stalled young Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas’ burgeoning career, but he remains philosophical about the tennis shutdown. The world No. 6 would have been preparing for the French Open that was originally scheduled to start this weekend, but was postponed to September. While he is missing life on the ATP Tour, Tsitsipas believes that the lockdown has given the planet a breather. “I actually think they should put us in lockdown once a year — it’s good for nature, it’s good for our planet,” Tsitsipas said in an Instagram Live conversation for At Home With Babsi on Eurosport’s Instagram page. “I