Jack Hughes scored twice in his NHL pre-season debut on Monday, including the winner 40 seconds into overtime to lift a New Jersey Devils split squad to a 4-3 win over the Boston Bruins in Newark, New Jersey.
Hughes, the first overall pick in June’s NHL draft, and P.K. Subban, acquired in a trade with Nashville, each played his first game for the Devils.
Connor Carrick and Jesper Bratt also scored for New Jersey.
Cory Schneider started in goal for New Jersey and made 17 saves on 18 shots before being replaced by Gilles Senn, who was credited with the win after stopping 14 of 16 shots he faced.
Oskar Steen, Chris Wagner and Jack Studnicka scored for Boston. Studnicka’s goal with 50 seconds left in regulation tied the score 3-3.
Goalie Dan Vladar took the loss as he allowed all four New Jersey goals on 14 shots. Bruins starter Kyle Keyser stopped all 17 shots he faced.
CANADIENS 4, DEVILS 2
In Montreal, Jake Evans scored late in the third period to lead the Canadiens to a 4-2 victory over the other Devils split squad.
Artturi Lehkonen and Nate Thompson scored for Montreal in the first period and Nick Cousins added an empty-netter in the third.
Carey Price and Cayden Primeau shared goaltending duties. Price gave up one goal on nine shots and Primeau stopped 16 of 17 shots he faced.
Will Butcher and Michael McLeod scored for the Devils. Mackenzie Blackwood started in goal and had 11 saves on 13 shots.
Devils goalie Evan Cormier made 11 saves in the third period.
CAPITALS 4, BLACKHAWKS 3
In Washington, Tom Wilson scored 2:25 into overtime to lift the Capitals to a 4-3 win over the Chicago Blackhawks.
Damien Riat, Travis Boyd and Aliaksei Protas also scored for Washington. Capitals goalie Pheonix Copley had 27 saves.
Aleksi Saarela, Alexander Nylander and Adam Boqvist scored for Chicago, which got a 25-save effort from goalie Collin Delia.
Also on Monday, it was:
‧ Sabres 5, Penguins 4
‧ Islanders 3, Flyers 1
‧ Predators 6, Panthers 3
‧ Blues 2, Stars 0
‧ Oilers 2, Jets 0
‧ Flames 3, Canucks 2
A professional soccer team in South Korea apologized after “mannequins” used as substitute fans during a match on Sunday turned out to be sex dolls. K League 1 club Seoul said that the dolls, which had been dotted around stands off-limits to supporters due to the COVID-19 pandemic, had been ordered inadvertently after a “misunderstanding” with the supplier. Earlier this month, the K League became the first major soccer league to hold matches since the start of the pandemic, with the season’s opening game watched by a worldwide audience of fans, but Seoul’s attempt to bring a touch of realism to Sunday’s
It is known as the “May 19 Incident” and by some estimations it still haunts China’s national soccer team 35 years on. On May 19, 1985, China were stunned 2-1 at home by neighbors Hong Kong, then still under British rule, on one of the most infamous nights in Chinese soccer history. It is notorious not just because China’s hopes of qualifying for the FIFA World Cup for the first time ended in calamity. After the match, fans in Beijing rioted, smashing up vehicles, attacking buses, and threatening foreign journalists and diplomatic staff. It began an intense rivalry between the two teams which
APPROPRIATE RESPONSE: The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan expressed ‘sincere regret’ for publishing the image on its in-house magazine and Web site A satirical mock-up depicting the Tokyo Games logo as the novel coronavirus has been pulled from online after Olympic organizers branded it “insensitive” and said that it infringed copyright. The design combines the distinctive, spiky image of the coronavirus cell with the blue-and-white Tokyo Games logo. It appeared on the cover of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan’s magazine. The Tokyo Games have been postponed until next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has left hundreds of thousands of people dead and halted sport worldwide. Club president Khaldon Azhari yesterday said that the club had decided to withdraw the image and remove
The COVID-19 pandemic has stalled young Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas’ burgeoning career, but he remains philosophical about the tennis shutdown. The world No. 6 would have been preparing for the French Open that was originally scheduled to start this weekend, but was postponed to September. While he is missing life on the ATP Tour, Tsitsipas believes that the lockdown has given the planet a breather. “I actually think they should put us in lockdown once a year — it’s good for nature, it’s good for our planet,” Tsitsipas said in an Instagram Live conversation for At Home With Babsi on Eurosport’s Instagram page. “I