Australia’s Josh Hazlewood yesterday marked his entry into this season’s Ashes with two early wickets before England held firm as the second Test finally got under way at Lord’s.
England were 76-2 at lunch on the second day, having been 26-2 after Hazlewood captured the wickets of Jason Roy and captain Joe Root.
However, Rory Burns (34 not out) and Joe Denly (27 not out) prevented further collapse, with Hazlewood having the excellent figures of two wickets for 14 runs in 10 overs at lunch.
Australia, 1-0 up in the five-match series after a 251-run win in the first Test at Edgbaston last week, saw captain Tim Paine show faith in his attack by deciding to bowl first after winning the toss following Wednesday’s opening day washout.
It took just nine balls for his decision to be rewarded.
After Pat Cummins had bowled a probing maiden to Rory Burns, Hazlewood — recalled in place of James Pattinson in the only change to Australia’s side — struck with just his third ball when Roy was caught behind for a duck by wicketkeeper Paine after fending loosely outside off stump at a rising delivery.
England lost their first wicket without a run on the board.
Although the sun was breaking through the clouds, easing the conditions for batting, that did not stop Australia’s new-ball duo from repeatedly beating the outside edge of Root and left-hander Burns — who scored his maiden Test century at Edgbaston.
However, Root, England’s best batsman, did hit the first boundaries of the match in when he cover drove two successive Cummins deliveries for textbook fours in the seventh over.
When first-change Peter Siddle replaced Cummins, England took 13 runs off his first over, including three well-struck boundaries.
However, Hazlewood then had Root, aiming across his front pad, LBW for 14 with a ball that nipped back.
Root thought about a review, but decided against, with England 26-2 as under-pressure Denly walked out to bat.
England should have been 40-3, but Burns, on 16, saw Usman Khawaja drop a routine gully chance from an edge drive off Siddle.
It has been 18 years since Australia last won an Ashes series in England.
Wednesday’s washout saw play extended to 98 overs per day, with the follow-on reduced to within 150 runs rather than 200 now that it is a four-day match.
On the past two occasions that an entire day’s play has been lost in a Lord’s Test — on the first day versus Pakistan in 2001 and on the first day against India last year — the match was still over within four days.
Yesterday saw Lord’s turn red in support of the Ruth Strauss Foundation — a lung cancer charity set up to honor the wife of Andrew Strauss, the former England captain and director of men’s cricket, who died from the disease.
Fans have been asked to wear the color and both teams are to wear limited-edition caps and shirts that would be auctioned off.
A sudden shortage of locks in Australian rugby union has opened the door for Matt Philip to reclaim his Wallabies jersey, but the Melbourne Rebels player says that the uncertainties wrought by the COVID-19 pandemic have left him with a difficult choice. The Australian yesterday named Philip among 16 Rebels players either set to leave the Super Rugby club or seriously considering it, underscoring the challenge Rugby Australia faces to retain talent. Linked with a move to Section Paloise Bearn Pyrenees, commonly referred to as Pau, in France’s Top 14, Philip said that he had yet to settle his playing future, and
The Rakuten Monkeys remained atop the CPBL table, despite a 5-7 loss to the Uni-President Lions in Taoyuan yesterday, while the CTBC Brothers fell to the Fubon Guardians at the Taichung Intercontinental Stadium. The visiting Guardians blasted three home runs in their 7-3 triumph, helping Dominican pitcher Henry Sosa pocket his second win of the season. Improving his record to 2-2, Sosa sailed through seven innings, allowing six hits while striking out five. He gave up one earned run in the opening frame, with two Brothers relievers mopping up the final two innings. Fubon’s marquee stars, designated hitter Hu Chin-lung and first baseman
When Chinese Super League club Tianjin Tianhai surprisingly thrashed Rafael Benitez’s Dalian Yifang 5-1 to stay in the league in November last year, disgruntled fans were quick to allege corruption — the legacy of a murky past that exploded into scandal 10 years ago. Benitez, who led Liverpool to the 2005 UEFA Champions League title, was perplexed by one of the heaviest defeats of his coaching career, saying: “This is a game that I don’t quite understand.” Despite fan complaints to the Chinese Football Association (CFA), no case was brought and there is no evidence of wrongdoing. However, the haste with which some
Georgian tennis star Nikoloz Basilashvili, ranked 27th in the world, was on Sunday charged with physically assaulting his ex-wife, prosecutors said. A court in Tbilisi charged Basilashvili with perpetrating “violence against a family member committed in the presence of a minor,” before releasing him on US$30,000 bail, prosecutor Natia Guruli said. He faces up to three years in prison if found guilty. Basilashvili’s ex-wife, Neka Dorokashvili, on Sunday told Mtavari TV that Basilashvili “physically assaulted” her on Friday in the presence of their five-year-old son. Basilashvili denied the charges, his lawyer Irma Chkadua said. The 28-year-old won his second ATP Tour title at the China