Mon, Feb 18, 2019 - Page 10 News List

City end Newport’s run to reach quarter-finals


Manchester City powered into the FA Cup quarter-finals on Saturday as the Premier League leaders survived a battling display from Newport County to beat the fourth-tier minnows 4-1.

Pep Guardiola’s side did not have an easy ride in a full-blooded fifth-round tie against a team 82 places below them in League Two.

Troubled by the rutted Rodney Parade pitch, City were indebted to Ederson for a superb save to keep them level during a lackluster first-half display.

City eventually hit their stride in the second half and Leroy Sane’s powerful finish put them ahead before Phil Foden doubled the lead.

Newport refused to surrender and Padraig Amond’s late goal could have set up a tense finale, only for Foden to net again 79 seconds later before Riyad Mahrez wrapped up the win.

“It was a really tough game. We opened the scoring in the game and believed it was done. They showed us how incredible they are and a big compliment for them,” Guardiola said.

“The home crowd was amazing. Winning here, I understand English football today better than ever and how tough the cup is in these conditions,” he added.

With their Champions League last-16 first leg against Schalke to come on Wednesday, followed by the League Cup final against Chelsea, Guardiola made seven changes to the side that hammered Chelsea 6-0 last weekend.

“You play League Two then Champions League. You have to adapt and change mentality, and that means a lot to grow like as a team. The big mistake is believing you are better than anyone,” Guardiola said.

The gulf between the clubs is enormous, with Newport’s squad costing just £50,000 and City’s totaling £450 million.

However, Newport had already knocked out Premier League side Leicester City and Championship outfit Middlesbrough in the previous two rounds.

Guardiola had told City that they would “suffer” at set-pieces against Newport’s “taller, stronger” players and the Spaniard’s fears were nearly confirmed in the 14th minute.

Failing to deal with Mickey Demetriou’s long throw, City left space for Tyreeq Bakinson, and he headed goalward from close range, only for Ederson to dive to his right to make a brilliant one-handed save.

Bothered by the unpredictable surface, left badly damaged by heavy use from two rugby union teams as well as Newport, City were unable to get any momentum, and another long throw ended with Joss Labadie lashing wide.

Mahrez could not hit the target with a series of half-chances and Sane grazed the top of the crossbar from an acute angle as Newport gamely reached half-time on level terms.

Newport’s brave resistance was finally broken in the 51st minute, with Gabriel Jesus teeing up Sane for a fierce strike that smashed into Newport goalkeeper Joe Day’s face before looping into the net.

With 15 minutes left, Foden increased City’s advantage as his low strike eluded Day’s weak attempt at a save.

Amond punished woeful defending from Aymeric Laporte and Nicolas Otamendi to lob home from the edge of the area in the 88th minute.

However, midfielder Foden went straight down to the other end to blast City’s third, and Mahrez slammed in the fourth in the final seconds.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top