Arrests prompt concern
Athletics Kenya on Friday warned that the arrest and arraignment of leading agent Federico Rosa could have a negative effect on athletes’ performances at next month’s Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. Rosa is a director of Rosa and Associati, an Italian-based sports management company that has managed a large number of Kenyan athletes since 1990. It counts former Olympic and three-time 1,500m world champion Asbel Kiprop as one of its members. “Athletics Kenya has learnt through third parties and the media of the arrest, questioning and arraignment in court of Mr Federico Rosa and his father, Dr Gabriele Rosa, who are senior members of the athletes representative accredited from Rosa and Associati of Italy,” the federation said in a statement. “We would like to point out that since Friday the authorities have not informed us or shared any information regarding the charges against the Rosas.”
Sakho proceedings dropped
UEFA on Friday dropped proceedings against Liverpool and France international defender Mamadou Sakho over a doping infringement, European soccer’s governing body said. “Following a hearing with the lawyers of the player and experts of the WADA [World Anti-Doping Association]-accredited laboratories on this case, the CEDB has decided to dismiss the case,” UEFA said in a statement, referring to its Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body. Sakho, 26, who was left out of the France squad for the Euro 2016 tournament, tested positive after a Europa League tie against Manchester United on March 17 after taking a product to reduce body fat. He served an initial 30-day suspension that was not extended. The centerback is said not to have known the composition of the weight-loss supplement and informed UEFA that he had acted in good faith. The player was available for international duty at Euro 2016, but manager Didier Deschamps left him out of the finals squad.
Kang silent over probe
South Korean third baseman Kang Jung-ho had no comment on Friday on a reported probe of a sex assault allegation against him in Chicago as he and his Pirates teammates returned to Pittsburgh. “I’m just thinking about baseball right now and unfortunately I can’t comment on any matters of the investigation at this point,” Kang told reporters via his translator, H.K. Kim, as the Pirates prepared for a Major League Baseball game against the Chicago Cubs. The Chicago Tribune on Tuesday reported that Chicago police are investigating Kang after a 23-year-old woman alleged he sexually assaulted her last month in a Chicago hotel room. The newspaper said the incident took place in Chicago when the Pirates were in town to play the Cubs. No charges have been laid and Kang remains with the team.
Johnson withdraws from Rio
World No. 2 Dustin Johnson, who won his first major title at the US Open Golf Championship last month, will not play in the Rio de Janeiro Olympics because of concerns over the Zika virus. In a statement released to the Golf Channel on Friday by his agent, David Winkle of Hambric Sports Management, Johnson said his hopes of expanding his family with fiancee Paulina Gretzky meant it would be “irresponsible” to risk contracting the mosquito-borne virus that has been linked to birth defects.
’SO CONSISTENT’: The victory gave the world No. 1 and world No. 2 a 21-1 win-loss record and their fourth title of the season after successes in Brisbane, Dubai and Doha Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Sunday cruised to their fourth women’s doubles title of the season at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome in their first tournament back since the suspension of the WTA Tour due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The top seeds took just 63 minutes to complete a comprehensive 6-2, 6-2 victory over unseeded German-Romanian duo Anna-Lena Friedsam and Raluca Olaru at the Foro Italico. It was the Taiwanese-Czech pairing’s first outing since they won the Qatar Open in February. “After five months, you don’t know what to expect,” Strycova told the WTA Web site.
‘GREAT EVENING‘: In the women’s singles in Rome, Simona Halep and Karolina Pliskova advanced, while Rafael Nadal swept into the quarters in the men’s singles Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Friday had to dig deep to advance to the semi-finals of the women’s doubles at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. The top seeds, who did not drop a game in their opening match on the clay courts at the Foro Italico, battled to a 7-6 (7/5), 6-4 victory over sixth seeds Veronika Kudermetova and Katerina Siniakova in 1 hour, 39 minutes. The reigning Wimbledon champions saved nine of 11 break points and converted three of eight, winning 56 percent of points on their second serve and sending down two aces
ANOTHER SCANDAL: Searches focused on several riders, including Dayer Quintana, a source said, while the two being held were reportedly a doctor and physiotherapist French police on Monday detained two people as part of an investigation into suspected doping in the Arkea-Samsic team at this year’s Tour de France, prosecutors announced. The probe is the first significant one in several years for the repeatedly scandal-hit tour, which on Sunday wrapped up in Paris with a victory for 21-year-old Tadej Pogacar, who became the youngest winner in more than a century. Prosecutor Dominique Laurens in Marseille said in a statement that an investigation was being carried out into a “small part” of France-based Arkea-Samsic, without specifying who had been placed in custody. Laurens added that the two
Chen Jifang hits the gym for at least two hours every day and has the physique to prove it. At nearly 70, she is being held up as a shining example as China orders its vast population to get fit and lose the bulge. The grandmother from Shanghai has become a minor celebrity in in the past few months after her newfound and unlikely love for working out made national headlines. After becoming a gym regular in December 2018, Chen lost 14kg in three months, and now sports the kind of flat stomach and toned muscles that people decades younger aspire to. She