New Zealand are keen to build on the momentum of the inaugural day-night cricket Test with their own “pink ball” match, possibly against South Africa next season.
About 120,000 fans flocked through the gates of the Adelaide Oval over three days of play to watch Brendon McCullum’s side lose to Australia in the first day-night Test in November.
On the back of such undeniable public support for the concept, New Zealand Cricket (NZC) chief executive David White said the idea of hosting a pink ball Test had already been discussed.
“I think it’s a distinct possibility,” White told Newstalk ZB yesterday. “Obviously, South Africa would have to be keen as well, but I think that it’s very much a possibility.”
NZC was already considering a full round of day-night first-class matches next month to test the concept, which would give it an indication of whether the conditions would be suitable during South Africa’s tour in February next year.
“The big difference between New Zealand and Australia is that it will be a big challenge to do it before Christmas because of our weather, but I think post-Christmas — when it’s a lot warmer at night — I think will be more attractive,” White said.
NZC also initially suggested it would trial the concept in a Test against Bangladesh, but after witnessing the interest in the Adelaide game, decided to make it more of an extravaganza, White said.
“As a first-off game, it was just outstanding,” he said of the Australia game. “Huge crowd and a great spectacle, [so] I think if we’re going to do it, the first one should be a very big game, provided we get the conditions right and make it a huge, big extravaganza.”
Hamilton’s Seddon Park, which hosted a warm-up fixture under lights with the pink ball for the New Zealand side before they went to Australia, looms as a likely venue for the match.
Seddon Park groundsman Karl Johnson traveled to Adelaide to discuss preparations and to monitor how the wicket and ball performed in the twilight conditions.
AP, NELSON, New Zealand
The fourth match of the one-day series between New Zealand and Sri Lanka was rained out yesterday, abandoned after just nine overs were bowled and leaving the hosts with a 2-1 series lead going into the final match of the series.
Heavy rain overnight and throughout the morning saturated the playing area at Saxton Oval.
When play began, the contest had been reduced to 24 overs per side and Sri Lanka won the toss and chose to bowl.
The tourists started strongly, reducing New Zealand to 75-3.
Big-hitting Martin Guptill was out for 27 from 14 deliveries, Tom Latham fell for 9 and stand-in captain Kane Williamson was caught and bowled by Dushmantha Chameera for 12.
Ross Taylor was 20 not out and Henry Nicholls 4 not out when rain returned after only 42 minutes of play, chasing players from the field again.
Umpires Richard Illingworth and Billy Bowden said the arena could not be brought up to a reasonable playing standard in the time remaining.
The last match of the series is to be played at Mount Maunganui on Tuesday.
The NBA said was re-evaluating its training program in China following allegations of abuse of young players by local staff and harassment of foreign staffers at a facility in Xinjiang. The comments come after a report by ESPN that quoted unnamed American coaches as saying that Chinese coaches hit young players. One American coach who worked at a camp in Xinjiang complained of harassment by local police, the sports network said. “The allegations in the ESPN article are disturbing,” NBA deputy commissioner Mark Tatum said in an e-mail statement on Thursday. “We ended our involvement with the basketball academy in Xinjiang in June
Coming from the business world, New York Liberty owner Joe Tsai (蔡崇信) did not understand why his WNBA franchise did not have a chief executive officer similar to the team’s NBA counterpart the Brooklyn Nets, which Tsai also owns. For Tsai, it was about equality, so he did something about it. The 56-year-old Taipei-born billionaire businessman and philanthropist promoted Keia Clarke to the position last week — making her the first chief executive officer in the team’s history. The WNBA veteran became the third black woman to currently be in charge of a franchise in the league, joining Los Angeles Sparks president
LEAVING IT LATE: Rakuten added late runs last night to add to wins on Wednesday against the Brothers and the Lions on Friday that went down to the last batter The Rakuten Monkeys rallied to post three late runs for another close win, prevailing 5-3 over the Uni-President Lions yesterday as Taiwan’s second-half CPBL season got started with lower scoring output, but exciting finishes. It was Rakuten’s third win in a row. In two games this week, they seized victory in dramatic fashion with their last at-bat and have drawn level with the CTBC Brothers on top of the table after yesterday’s results, 0.5 games in front of the Fubon Guardians and 1.5 games ahead of the Lions. It was tied at 1-1 early, with Rakuten hosting the Lions at the Taoyuan Intenational
MONEY MATTERS: While COVID-19 played a major role in the decision, the CTBA also found it hard to secure sponsorship, and ticket sales would have been affected The Yonex Taipei Open badminton tournament has been canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic and a funding shortfall, the CTBA said yesterday. This was the first time that the tournament, a Badminton World Federation (BWF) World Tour Super 300-level competition, has been canceled since it began in 1980. The Taipei Open has been held annually since 1980. The tournament was to be played at the Taipei Arena from Sept. 1 to Sept. 6, with total prize money of US$500,000. The CTBA said that it was deeply concerned about whether the Taipei Open would proceed as scheduled after the BWF announced changes