Having again failed to reach the World Series with Major League Baseball’s biggest payroll, the Los Angeles Dodgers face intense scrutiny over the coming days, with manager Don Mattingly’s position looking tenuous.
The Dodgers’ 3-2 loss to the New York Mets in the decisive fifth game of the National League Division Series on Thursday last week marked the second season in a row they have exited the playoffs at the first hurdle.
While they have reached the post-season three times during Mattingly’s five years in charge and have won three straight NL West titles, they have clinched just one playoff series in that span.
Photo: Richard Mackson-USA TODAY
For diehard Dodgers fans, that is barely worth celebrating, given that their team’s record payroll increased to more than US$300 million for this season, consequently driving their lofty expectations for the “The Boys in Blue” even higher.
Mattingly has achieved a .551 winning percentage, better than any Dodgers manager since Walter Alston, but of the four managers in Los Angeles with at least 10 post-season games in the past 60 years, he is the only one with a losing record (8-11).
For Mattingly, there was no way “to soften that blow” after the Dodgers were ultimately outplayed by the Mets in their best-of five NL Division Series.
“It’s just disappointing,” Mattingly said after a Game 5 that was decided by Daniel Murphy’s go-ahead home run in the sixth inning. “There are really no words to describe how you feel. You come to Spring Training, you work all winter, you scratch, you fight all year long to get into this situation and you have a chance. It comes to a crash. It doesn’t matter if you expect it or whatever... It’s disappointing no matter what the situation is. I don’t think there is anyway to soften that blow.”
In the aftermath of that defeat, Mattingly was not prepared to talk about his managerial future.
Asked during the post-game news conference where Thursday’s loss had left him in terms of coming back to the Dodgers next year, he said: “Seriously, you’re asking me that now?”
The Dodgers won the most recent of their six MLB championship titles a distant 27 years ago and Mattingly’s plight is not helped by the fact that he was not hired by the club’s new president of baseball operations, Andrew Friedman.
However, Mattingly was given plenty of support in the Dodgers locker room as the players were striving to come to terms with the shuddering halt to another season.
“We didn’t lose because of Donnie,” utility player Enrique Hernandez said. “We lost because we couldn’t score runs. Donnie has nothing to do with this. There’s no reason Donnie has to be fired.”
“The expectations are World Series or fail, and that’s throughout the whole season,” reliever J.P. Howell said: “He’s done a great job of when it’s not going so well. He’s always cool to be around.”
Third baseman Justin Turner told reporters he would play for Mattingly “any day of the week,” adding: “Anything he wanted me to do, anything he asked of me, I’m right there, I’m behind him 100 percent. I think he’s an unbelievable manager, and did an unbelievable job handling everything that goes on both on and off the field with this club.”
As for a final decision on Mattingly’s future with the Dodgers, that will be made by Friedman.
“You can’t hire guys like that [Friedman] and then make the decisions for them,” said Mark Walter, the controlling partner in Guggenheim Baseball Management, which owns the Dodgers franchise.
Memphis Grizzlies forward Brandon Clarke, 29, has died, the NBA team said in a statement on Tuesday, while the family of Jason Collins, the first openly gay man to play in a major US pro sports league, announced the former Grizzlies and Brooklyn Nets player had died after a battle with brain cancer. “We are heartbroken by the tragic loss of Brandon Clarke,” the Grizzlies said in a statement posted on social media. “Brandon was an outstanding teammate and an even better person whose impact on the organization and the greater Memphis community will not be forgotten.” The statement did not provide
Taiwan’s top male badminton player, Chou Tien-chen, on Saturday bowed out in the men’s singles semi-finals at the Thailand Open after losing in straight games to Thailand’s Kunlavut Vitidsarn. The world No. 6 Chou, seeded fourth at the Super 500 tournament, lost to the world No. 2 Thai 21-7, 21-19 in 53 minutes. The victory improved Vitidsarn’s head-to-head record against Chou to 3-5. Chou, 36, trailed throughout the opening game after the score was tied 2-2. His relatively passive approach allowed the 25-year-old Thai to capitalize on Chou’s defensive clears with powerful smashes while committing few unforced errors. The Taiwanese
FRUSTRATION: Gauff smacked herself on the head with her racket before storming down the tunnel, emerging afterward to have a heated discussion with her coach Elina Svitolina on Saturday won the Italian Open after beating Coco Gauff 6-4, 6-7 (3/7), 6-2 to claim her third Rome title, while Jannik Sinner set a date with Casper Ruud in the men’s final. Ukraine’s Svitolina had not claimed a WTA 1000 title since her last victory at the Foro Italico eight years ago, but prevailed over the ever-erratic Gauff to claim her 20th tournament triumph. Saturday’s win over Gauff was her third in a row against a player in the top four of the world rankings — including Iga Swiatek and Elena Rybakina — ahead of the French
West Ham United’s 3-1 defeat at Newcastle United on Sunday left Tottenham Hotspur realistically only needing one more point to win the battle for English Premier League survival, while Bruno Fernandes made history in Manchester United’s 3-2 win over Nottingham Forest. Spurs can avoid dropping out of the English top flight for the first time in nearly 50 years with victory at Chelsea today, but a draw would also likely suffice thanks to their much superior goal-difference over West Ham. “Overall bad performance. Too many things [went wrong], I think we gifted them the goals,” West Ham head caoch Nuno Espirito Santo