Martin Guptill hit 60 as New Zealand earned a share of the series by winning the second Twenty20 international against South Africa by 32 runs at SuperSport Park in Centurion, South Africa, on Sunday.
New Zealand made 177 for seven before restricting the hosts to 145 for eight.
Stand-in captain Kane Williamson, leading a side missing several key players, some injured and others resting, was delighted with what he described as “a much improved effort,” following defeat by six wickets in the first match in Durban, South Africa, on Friday.
South Africa were never on target in the chase after losing their first three batsmen, including world stars Hashim Amla and A.B. de Villiers, for 47 runs inside seven overs.
New Zealand spinners Nathan McCullum and Ish Sodhi both took two wickets and were economical on a pitch which Williamson said got more difficult to bat on in the second innings.
De Villiers, again captaining South Africa in the absence of an injured Faf du Plessis, said his side were well beaten.
“We were definitely below par with the ball today and we lost wickets at crucial times,” he said.
As in the first match, Guptill and Williamson got their side off to a fast start, putting on 52 off 5.3 overs before Williamson was caught at third man off Kagiso Rabada for 25.
The pair put on 68 for the first wicket in Durban before the side subsided to 151 for eight.
With Guptill making his 60 off 35 balls, New Zealand put up a better performance on Sunday, but again there were no further major partnerships.
Fast bowler Rabada took three for 30, including two wickets off successive balls in the penultimate over.
However, New Zealand’s bowlers struck early, with left-armer Mitchell McClenaghan having Morne van Wyk caught behind before Amla drove fast bowler Adam Milne to point.
De Villiers threatened briefly, hitting 15 off nine balls, before he was caught at long-on off McCullum. After that, South Africa never looked likely to win.
WAIT AND SEE: The estimated cost of postponement started at US$2 billion and has kept rising, but the IOC has yet to say whether it would help pay for the extra expenses Postponing the Tokyo Olympics to next year would make the event more costly for all parties, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) acknowledged on Thursday, although it offered few details on what the final bill might be. Four directors of the Olympic body held a conference call three days after Tokyo’s new dates were finalized, with the Games pushed back to July 23 to Aug. 8 next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic. While the new dates cleared up any uncertainty about the event’s future, there are still plenty of question marks as the committee begins to work with Tokyo organizers and the
Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker found himself in need of an assist to help the state fight the COVID-19 pandemic. He called on the New England Patriots. One of the team’s private airplanes on Thursday evening landed in Boston after returning from China carrying more than 1 million masks critical to healthcare providers fighting to control the spread of the coronavirus. Members of the Massachusetts National Guard met the airplane and offloaded the containers of masks onto waiting trucks for transport to warehouses for distribution. Baker secured the N95 masks from Chinese manufacturers, but had no way of getting them to the US. He
DECREASED TENSION: The US players’ lawyers said that the soccer federation no longer disputes that the jobs of the women’s and men’s national teams require equal skill Women players suing the US Soccer Federation (USSF) said in in court documents filed on Tuesday that the federation has acknowledged that the jobs of male and female soccer players require equal skill. The language seemed to signal a decrease in tension between the parties after language in documents filed by the federation’s lawyers earlier last month provoked widespread outrage in saying that playing on the men’s national team required a higher level of skill based on speed and strength and carried greater responsibility. The fierce backlash — not only from the women players, but also from sponsors such as Coca-Cola —
Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson are planning to play a charity golf match next month with Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, CNBC reported on Wednesday. CNBC, which cited an unnamed person familiar with the negotiations, said that the charity match would be held at an undisclosed location without fans and is being organized by the PGA Tour and AT&T’s WarnerMedia. The negotiations are still being finalized, but the match pitting 15-time major champion Woods and Manning against five-time major winner Mickelson and Brady could be aired on live TV and is unlikely to be featured on pay-per-view, CNBC said. “Discussions