Formula One is failing both fans and drivers and needs to become more gladiatorial and less artificial, former Red Bull driver Mark Webber has warned as the sport considers its future direction.
In an interview released by Red Bull ahead of tomorrow’s Austrian Grand Prix, the Australian echoed calls for change from the energy drink company’s billionaire owner Dietrich Mateschitz.
“The championship itself and Formula One itself is not in great shape,” said Webber, runner-up for Porsche in last weekend’s Le Mans 24 Hours sportscar race.
“I think we’re disappointed with it as F1 fans... All the drivers that I’m talking with, we’re disappointed with what’s going on with the cars, the lap times, it’s just not stimulating for the drivers, and this is rubbing off, the fans can see this. Over the last five or six years, they’ve got many, many, many things wrong to try and make the sport better and it became a sniff too artificial,” Webber said.
Webber, who left Formula One at the end of 2013 after winning nine races for then-dominant Red Bull, had been critical of the direction the sport was taking even before he moved to sportscars.
Red Bull, whose relationship with engine supplier Renault has soured notably this year after they won four championships in a row together from 2010 to 2013, have also become increasingly vocal in calling for change.
The sport is now looking at ways of making cars faster and lighter for 2017 to allow drivers to race flat out rather than having to coast and save tires and fuel, but various proposals have yet to be finalized.
“There’s a lot of questions to be answered and they need to act fast on getting the fans engaged again,” Webber said.
“MotoGP, my God, not many people can do that and that’s why people watch. Messi, Ronaldo, this is what people love to switch a TV on for,” he added.
“We’ve got a big chance here to keep Formula One like that, but it’s not like that at the moment, it’s a shame, they’ve dulled it down,” Webber said.
Webber said making cars five or six seconds faster was not enough.
“The reference point that we now have is horrendous in terms of pace,” he added. “It needs to be on a different level. They need to make heavy changes and get the drivers stimulated again and that’ll wash off on the fans.”
A sudden shortage of locks in Australian rugby union has opened the door for Matt Philip to reclaim his Wallabies jersey, but the Melbourne Rebels player says that the uncertainties wrought by the COVID-19 pandemic have left him with a difficult choice. The Australian yesterday named Philip among 16 Rebels players either set to leave the Super Rugby club or seriously considering it, underscoring the challenge Rugby Australia faces to retain talent. Linked with a move to Section Paloise Bearn Pyrenees, commonly referred to as Pau, in France’s Top 14, Philip said that he had yet to settle his playing future, and
As professional soccer returned to Denmark, fans used Zoom to be part of the action. Thousands of Danish soccer fans on Thursday logged on to the conferencing software and were transported to Ceres Park for a league match between AGF and Randers that heralded the resumption of the nation’s pandemic-affected soccer season. While the stadium itself was without fans, the faces of thousands of supporters who joined the Zoom call were shown on giant screens that ran along one side of the pitch. Families wearing club shirts and scarves cheered inside their living rooms. Some were seen clenching their fists in joy after
It is the land of the world champions, but is it really a soccer country? That is the question that some in France have been asking this week while its European neighbors work to bring the sport back after the COVID-19 shutdown. Debate has raged ever since Ligue 1 decided in late April to bring a premature end to the season with 10 rounds of matches unplayed. By contrast, two weeks have passed since the Bundesliga restarted, while Italian Minister for Sport Vincenzo Spadafora on Thursday confirmed that Serie A would return on June 20, and La Liga and the English Premier
A feel-good campaign allowing fans to have cardboard cutouts of themselves at Australian rugby league games has been hijacked by pranksters, with a notorious serial killer among those making an appearance — while one TV show edited an image of Adolf Hitler into the crowd. The NRL launched “Fan In The Stand” to coincide with the sport’s return at the weekend after its season was put on hold due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Supporters are barred from stadiums under strict health protocols, but can pay A$22 (US$15) to have their photograph printed on a life-size cutout and placed in the stands of