Bangladesh grinded out a draw after India off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin claimed a five-for to force the hosts’ follow-on during the fifth and final day of the rain-interrupted one-off Test yesterday.
Ashwin returned figures of 5-87, his 10th Test five-wicket haul, as Bangladesh were bowled out for 256 in their first innings — in reply to India’s 462-6 at the Khan Shaheb Osman Ali Stadium.
A result was still unlikely with just 30 overs to be played. India imposed the follow-on and Bangladesh ended the day 23-0 before bad light ended play 15 overs early.
For Bangladesh, opener Imrul Kayes top-scored with 72, his third Test half-century. Newcomer Litton Das was impressive with his 44. Soumya Sarkar made 37, while Mominul Haque scored 30. Off-spinner Harbahjan Singh took 3-64.
After Bangladesh resumed on 111-3, Ashwin had success in just the third over of the day when he dismissed Shakib Al Hasan, undone by extra bounce.
When he was on 4, Shakib became the first Bangladesh player to score 2,000 runs and take 100 wickets on home soil in his 28th home Test.
Kayes and Soumya Sarkar batted with confidence until the former lost his patience, charging Harbhajan needlessly to give away his wicket at 172-5.
Kayes hit a dozen boundaries in his 139-ball 72.
Soumya fell soon after, failing to deal with Varun Aaron who bowled with superb pace and aggression while Ashwin got Shuvagata Hom on the stroke of tea to leave the side 219-7.
Litton showed much composure and kept his side’s hopes alive of avoiding the follow-on, but Ashwin once again proved to be decisive and completed his five-for, baffling Litton with a turning delivery that got some extra bounce. Litton smashed eight fours and a six in his 44 off 45 balls.
A professional soccer team in South Korea apologized after “mannequins” used as substitute fans during a match on Sunday turned out to be sex dolls. K League 1 club Seoul said that the dolls, which had been dotted around stands off-limits to supporters due to the COVID-19 pandemic, had been ordered inadvertently after a “misunderstanding” with the supplier. Earlier this month, the K League became the first major soccer league to hold matches since the start of the pandemic, with the season’s opening game watched by a worldwide audience of fans, but Seoul’s attempt to bring a touch of realism to Sunday’s
It is known as the “May 19 Incident” and by some estimations it still haunts China’s national soccer team 35 years on. On May 19, 1985, China were stunned 2-1 at home by neighbors Hong Kong, then still under British rule, on one of the most infamous nights in Chinese soccer history. It is notorious not just because China’s hopes of qualifying for the FIFA World Cup for the first time ended in calamity. After the match, fans in Beijing rioted, smashing up vehicles, attacking buses, and threatening foreign journalists and diplomatic staff. It began an intense rivalry between the two teams which
APPROPRIATE RESPONSE: The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan expressed ‘sincere regret’ for publishing the image on its in-house magazine and Web site A satirical mock-up depicting the Tokyo Games logo as the novel coronavirus has been pulled from online after Olympic organizers branded it “insensitive” and said that it infringed copyright. The design combines the distinctive, spiky image of the coronavirus cell with the blue-and-white Tokyo Games logo. It appeared on the cover of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan’s magazine. The Tokyo Games have been postponed until next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has left hundreds of thousands of people dead and halted sport worldwide. Club president Khaldon Azhari yesterday said that the club had decided to withdraw the image and remove
The COVID-19 pandemic has stalled young Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas’ burgeoning career, but he remains philosophical about the tennis shutdown. The world No. 6 would have been preparing for the French Open that was originally scheduled to start this weekend, but was postponed to September. While he is missing life on the ATP Tour, Tsitsipas believes that the lockdown has given the planet a breather. “I actually think they should put us in lockdown once a year — it’s good for nature, it’s good for our planet,” Tsitsipas said in an Instagram Live conversation for At Home With Babsi on Eurosport’s Instagram page. “I